Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

slic3r small perimeter has no effect

Posted by Amsterdamman 
slic3r small perimeter has no effect
December 26, 2014 06:48PM
Hi Guys, This is about Slic3r 1.1.7 I was just looking at the G code for a print that starts with two small holes, here is the orig gcode smalhole.g The comments call it "perimeter" and it does have the perimeter speeds for normal and outer at the 20% I set the 1st layer, but they should be at the slower small perimeter speed instead. The radius is only 1.5mm. I manually lowered the speed on the holes and it printed much better, Seems a bug or can I have a setting wrong? Here is my config config.ini Is there a specific Slic3r forum? Seems a great function if it works!

Socrates ~ The Amsterdamman
slic3r-1.2.9
Re: slic3r small perimeter has no effect
December 26, 2014 06:56PM
RepRapFirmware has a speed called InstantDv for each axis, which is the minimum change in velocity that each stepper motor is assumed to be able to take without losing steps. Unfortunately, the firmware also applies this as the minimum speed for each axis. This is what tends to make the slic3r "small perimeters" speed reduction ineffective.

The new Move code I have developed does not enforce a minimum speed. In the mean time, if you are using my or zpl's recent firmware, you can use the M566 command to reduce these values for the X and Y axes.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 27, 2014 02:54AM
The gcode do look a bit weird - if simplify3d is showing the temperatures speed correct that is

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 05:40AM by ormerod168.
December 27, 2014 12:20PM
ormerod168
The gcode do look a bit weird - if simplify3d is showing the temperatures speed correct that is
Erik

Could those speed changes be from the wipe function?

slic3r-1.2.9
December 27, 2014 02:48PM
Amsterdamman
Could those speed changes be from the wipe function?

Yes you are right, I can see that now from the retraction points and by running the live review tracking

Erik
December 27, 2014 03:44PM
I'm trying to make the first layer small perimeters around the holes print slower. I find they don't always stick and that cause the entire print to fail or be low quality.
At this point I made all perimeters the same unique speed so I can just do a simple find and replace in the G code lowering the first layer from F720 to F350 and have had no more issues.
Some filament prints fine, but a silver tends to mess up that first layer and I like to print four or six pieces at once if possible. I'm happy to make it slower for twelve successful small perimeters!
I'd love to be able to control the number of perimeters on the first layer vs the rest. i.e. Would like to have 3 on first and only two on the rest.

slic3r-1.2.9
December 27, 2014 04:02PM
Amsterdamman
I'd love to be able to control the number of perimeters on the first layer vs the rest. i.e. Would like to have 3 on first and only two on the rest.

With Simplify3d you can do just that, running multiply processes, one for the first layer and another for the rest - as you seems to be a in-control person (like me), I think you will like it :-)

Erik
January 11, 2015 05:33AM
Solved the issue: i DL Slic3r 1.2.3 and so far it works better for these smaller complex shapes. 1.2.3 does the first layer small perimeter speeds correctly and is generally an improvement over the stable 1.1.7
I've had some issues with the first few layers showing a flaw, but it seems to be connected to the bed being slightly uneven. Eventually I will upgrade to Dave's sensor and system, it seems to fix these issues fully. The spring loaded extruder has worked perfectly since I removed the spring and ran the filament straight into the extruder from the side of the Ormerod1.
Erik- simplify3d seems a nice app, I may try it, kinda pricey. Plus I just supported my first kickstarter.... [www.kickstarter.com] with shipping to Holland was $69 for 500g of conductive filament.

slic3r-1.2.9
January 11, 2015 06:03AM
Erik, I am also considering S3D. Asked Dave his opinion on another thread as well. It seems you are happy with it?

James
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login