Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dead Proximity Sensor?

Posted by c0rtex 
Dead Proximity Sensor?
December 27, 2014 11:35PM
I have a feeling that my proximity sensor may be dead. I've checked and rechecked every solution in the troubleshooting page, i.e. updated firmware, checked connections, pins...
It sits at 488 no matter what. The only time it changes is when I shine a light directly at it and it goes down to 480 or so. Which leads me to believe it may be dead or damaged. Wondering if anyone can confirm my suspicions.
Thanks
Re: Dead Proximity Sensor?
December 28, 2014 03:40AM
There is very little to go wrong with the proximity sensor apart from the connections. Also there is no likely component failure I can think of that would cause that symptom. So I think the problem is more likely to be a bad connection (e.g. failed crimp connection ay one end of the output wire in the sensor loom), or possibly a fault on the Duet. How certain are you that the reading changes when you shine a light on it? What sort of light did you use? A modern LED flashlight is unlikely to have an effect, but a flashlight with an old fashioned bulb should. Is there much difference in the behaviour if you disconnect the sensor output wire (blue wire if it is an Ormerod 1) from the Duet?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 28, 2014 04:09PM
Same problem here: Get my Ormerod 2 a few weeks ago and had to wait for a missing cable. I received it just for christmas and had build the the rpinter in the last 3 days. Today was Commisioning. The Proximity Sensor is only showing values between 508 and 514. I checked the cable (OK) and cabeling (alle connetions are OK and correct). Without the sensor I get very different values, with the Sensor connected only data between 508 and 514. To me it seems also, that the Sensor is deas (maybe a damaged charge?).
Not a good job from RepRapPro:
First a cable missing (so I had to cancle some printings I planned fo christmas)
Than, at the build I found out that two cable have wrong connetions (male, where is should be female and a very strange connetion for the Y-Stop, which is not realy working well with the relais contacts)
And now a mĀ“not working Proxy sensor ...
I did some test prints by leveling the x and z axies manually (and reset the printer to use this as zero position). This was working well and the prints seems to be fine, but, as the printer is not a cheap one, the set should be complete, correct and with fully working parts...
Now I have to wait again 2 weeks ...
December 28, 2014 08:02PM
dc42
There is very little to go wrong with the proximity sensor apart from the connections. Also there is no likely component failure I can think of that would cause that symptom. So I think the problem is more likely to be a bad connection (e.g. failed crimp connection ay one end of the output wire in the sensor loom), or possibly a fault on the Duet. How certain are you that the reading changes when you shine a light on it? What sort of light did you use? A modern LED flashlight is unlikely to have an effect, but a flashlight with an old fashioned bulb should. Is there much difference in the behaviour if you disconnect the sensor output wire (blue wire if it is an Ormerod 1) from the Duet?

Yeah, I used my desk lamp (incandescent) and the values changed but like I said only by a negligible amount. I suppose that I can check for a bad crimp. Everything else is working perfectly fine on the Duet. Would rather not have to ^^ wait 2 weeks for another part.
December 29, 2014 01:37AM
After endless problems with the sensor I now home Z manually and have my bed perfectly level mechanically so I don't have to use bed compensation.

I am waiting for DC42's sensor board, so not doing to bother struggling with the original board anymore.

James
December 29, 2014 09:36AM
c0rtex
dc42

Yeah, I used my desk lamp (incandescent) and the values changed but like I said only by a negligible amount. I suppose that I can check for a bad crimp. Everything else is working perfectly fine on the Duet. Would rather not have to ^^ wait 2 weeks for another part.

No need to wait - just home X and Z manually until you get a replacement. It only takes an extra minute or so before a print, so you can carry on printing and tweaking the other parts of the printer.

After I blew the Duet board by connecting the bed ribbon cable 1 pin out and putting 12V on the 3.3V supply, I found after replacing the Duet that my Z sensor was very insensitive. The phototransistor was still working OK, but It seems that the overvoltage caused the IR LED to have very low output - after I soldered in a replacement part I could clearly see that the LED of the new part was much brighter when viewed on a digital camera.

Dave
January 09, 2015 02:49PM
Problem solved. For anyone who in the future who may have this problem, here's the email that RepRap support emailed me.

Sorry you are having problems with your proximity sensor. I'm assuming you have an Ormerod 2? It sounds like you have already worked through the list here: [reprappro.com]

If you have checked the wiring is connected correctly (you can always send me a picture if you would like me to check it for you), there's a couple more tests you can do, first to check the voltages on the proximity board and wiring, and then to check the Duet is functioning correctly.

You can test the voltage on the proximity board with a multimeter. Measure the voltage with the red multimeter probe on the pins on the back of the Proximity sensor board, where the wiring loom connects to the board, and the black probe on 12V ground screw terminal. Make sure the probe is in '4-wire' mode by sending 'M558 P2'. As an example, I did this and got the following:

Probe reading: 3 (4) (nothing under the probe)
Red: 20mV
Yellow: 2.5mV
Blue: 1.29V
Green: 3.27V

Probe reading: 953 (955) (white paper close to the probe)
Red: 1.53V
Yellow: 2.5mV
Blue: 1.29V

The red wire, which carries the sensor reading, reads half the of the voltage at full saturation, as it is turned off half the time, as the probe modulates. The Blue wire carries the modulating voltage to the infra red LED in the sensor, so it also shows half the voltage. There is a voltage drop on the Blue wire, as it powers the LED.

You can also turn the modulation off, and measure the voltage on the pins of the probe. Send 'M558 P1', then check the voltage. I get:

Probe reading: 1
Red: 25mV
Yellow: 5.6mV
Blue: 2.56V

Probe reading: 955
Red: 3.06V
Yellow: 5.6mV
Blue: 2.56V

This should show if there is a problem with the sensor, or if there a problem with a poor connection on one of the wires.

To test the Duet, check the voltages on the pins where the wires from the proximity loom connects to it (see [reprappro.com] ):
Test between Green (+3.3V) and Yellow (Ground), this should be around 3.3V.
The Blue pin should provide 1.65V (M558 P2) or 3.2V (M558 P1).

You can also test the Duet response is correct, without the sensor connected.
Short circuit the red pin to ground (the metal cover of the SD socket) with a piece of wire, the G31 response should be '0 (0)'.
Then put a jumper between the red pin and blue pine, the G31 response should be '1021 (1021)'.

If this works okay, send me a good picture of the back and the front of the proximity sensor, so I can see if there is a problem with it. Let me know your results from the above tests, and I'll try and work out what has gone wrong. We try to give you the information to diagnose the problem, so if you do need a replacement part, you get the correct one!

In my case turned out it was a poor connection to the Duet, I connected jumper wires to the Duet while checking the voltage. Then just happened to plug in the loom to the jumpers which had a nice snug fit and problem solved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login