Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hot Bed shuts off after 5 sec

Posted by itwbaer 
Hot Bed shuts off after 5 sec
January 08, 2015 03:54PM
When I try to turn my hot bed on, the light comes on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks in advance
rkc
Re: Hot Bed shuts off after 5 sec
January 08, 2015 03:58PM
Could be a loose wire - my bed was showing similar symptoms before I replaced the crimps at the bed end - they had been crimped so tight that they had cut right through the wire.
January 08, 2015 05:06PM
There is also a LED on the Duet that comes on when the bed is powered, near the 12V power input. Does that one also go off after 5 seconds?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 08, 2015 10:39PM
Yep the light goes off, thats how I first noticed it
January 09, 2015 03:42AM
Jusy to be clear, are you saying that BOTH leds go out (the one on the heated bed and the one on the Duet)?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2015 11:55PM
Just the one on the bed goes out
rkc
January 10, 2015 02:47AM
Then I would say it is very likely a faulty crimp at the bed end. Both of mine have failed, due to being crimped so tight that the wire was cut. I cut them off and replaced them with standard crimped spade terminals with a 2.5mm hole drilled in the middle.

You can confirm by checking that you get 12v at the terminals on the Duet that the bed is attached to when the light is on at the Duet end.

Richard
January 10, 2015 08:07AM
Just to add that this can develop into a serious condition, because a poor connection can overheat and destroy the bed heater or even start a fire.

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login