Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

usb port for wireless device power

Posted by steve0-uk 
usb port for wireless device power
January 19, 2015 03:37AM
Hey all

I have got my O2 running wireless using a nano router... It can be powered from usb ports

so I am thinking, I want to keep everything on the printer on the printer, so would I be able to run a usb port from the duet for power?
Re: usb port for wireless device power
January 19, 2015 03:52AM
If the nano router takes only power from the USB port, then yes. You could cut the USB cable and connect the red and black wires in it to +5V and ground on the expansion connector. Or connect the power pins of a USB A socket to +5V and ground.

If you have an Ormerod 2 then you should check that the 5V regulator isn't getting too hot when it is powering the router as well. The switching regulator used on the O1 should be OK with the extra load.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 19, 2015 04:42AM
I did have that in mind to use the exp. Pins I am planning on running the x4 add on card at some point, mid way through doing the 2 nozzle conversion...

Which I am going to need one of your 2 nozzle boards rather soonish

I have a panel mount socket from an old pc card which has a suitable connector on for the duet.

I work at RS so I can get hold of 5v regulators pretty easy. The psu for the nano router gives 5v 1a output not sure what the reg on the O2 is rated at...

Also would your duet enclosure fit the O2 version with the regulator board?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2015 04:43AM by steve0-uk.
January 19, 2015 05:14AM
My Duet enclosure would not accommodate the 5V linear regulator. You would need to enlarge the enclosure, and add ventilation to cool the regulator.

I regard the use of a 5V linear regulator instead of the switching regulator on the Duet as a step backwards. I understand that RRP had to do it to achieve CE compliance, because the switching regulator on the Duet is not well designed from an emissions perspective, and was generating too much EMI even when inside its metal box. But I hope that we will at some stage see an improved Duet with a quieter switching regulator on board.

If you don't care about the EMI, then you could ditch the linear regulator and enable the switching regulator on the Duet, as on Ormerod 1.

RRP is working on a shield that fits on top of the Duet, to use instead of the X4. I imagine that it will either fit within the existing O2 metal enclosure, or that RRP will be able to provide a new deeper metal enclosure to accommodate it. What I am not sure of is whether it is possible to get at any of the expansion connector pins when the shield is fitted. Unlike the X4, the design for the shield doesn't appear to have its own expansion connector.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 19, 2015 06:23AM
Some food for thought there... I guess all I can do at this stage is do it and see what happens with the reg. What pins on the exp. Port can I use for 5v and gnd?
January 19, 2015 07:15AM
The pins functions on the expansion connector are marked on the back of the Duet. When the Duet is mounted in Ormerod 1 style with the motor connectors at the bottom, then the leftmost pin on the top row of the expansion connector is ground, and the leftmost pin on the bottom row is +5V.

January 19, 2015 12:36PM
Fab will give it a go!! Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 03:07AM by steve0-uk.
January 26, 2015 02:36PM
Decided to take this another route. My psu has a spare output on it so I am thinking of coming straight from that to a 5v 1a regulator then to the usb socket which will power the wireless router. I have designed a small enclosure to mount the router on the side of the psu. I have included a couple pics showing the nano router in place with the mount I designed

next step is to mount the usb socket in somewhere, you can see it in the pic where the whole printer is shown

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2015 08:07AM by steve0-uk.
Attachments:
open | download - close up.jpg (503.4 KB)
open | download - full shot.jpg (607.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login