Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Built a box for my Ormerod

Posted by Vizual54 
Built a box for my Ormerod
February 22, 2015 03:12PM
Finally getting somewhere on my box for my O2.

Its made of 4mm acrylic sheets and measure 500x450x450 mm right now. Though its really huge and I'm going to cut it down to 500x400x400 mm. The bottom is a 22mm MDF board that the O2 is strapped down to with cable ties. Later on I plan to mill a 4mm wide 5mm deep track to fit the acrylic in. The PSU and duet will probably be mounted on the outside at the back later on.
On top there are two 120mm Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM controlled fans. An arduino pro mini is controlling the PWM signal running a PID loop or by manual control using a potentiometer. Temperature is measured with a onewire ds18b20 temp sensor. It also got a nice little oled display to show temperature, mode and setpoint temp for the pid controller.

Need some advise on where to you guys think the best placement for the temp sensor is and also where you think the air intakes should be. Right now I've placed the temp sensor on the at the xy-axis joint and placed two M10 bolts under the backside corners to let some air in.
The fans at full speed draws 0,6A do you think I can hook them up on the PSU or should I use a separate power source? Not sure yet how much the arduino takes but it shouldn't be much, haven't really thought of how to power that yet I realize.

The idea with this is to build two carbon activated filters that will sit before the 120mm fans for ABS printing. My wife is really sensitive to scents and hopefully this will make ABS printing possible with the printer in the house.
Tested a PLA print today (hotend at 185 and bed at 65°C) I was able to hold 26°C in the case with fans at around 50%. Will be really interesting to see what temp I can maintain printing at ABS temperatures and with the carbon filters in front of the fans. Of course I will also have to print all the parts for the O2 in ABS before I try this.
Re: Built a box for my Ormerod
February 23, 2015 03:49AM
The case looks brilliant. 100x better than my rough and ready cardboard attempt. Not sure about the fans and air intake though because this will cause a draft and I personally wouldn't be able to keep the bed hot enough to do ABS prints. If my nozzle fan is too low i can't even get the bed to 110 deg c. Very interested in where this is going though. Keep sharing updates.
Probably put the intakes above the bed to help keep bed temperature stable.
As for the temperature sensor i would have it about mid way between the intake and fans in the Z direction and probably level with the back Y axis. The opposite side of the Z support to the hot end and arm.
So more than likely X-10 to 10, Y150, Z100. This way the hot end won't crash into it and you should get a good idea of the general temperature inside.
February 23, 2015 06:00AM
Nice job!

I've been playing around with a heated enclosure that I was planning on running at about 30°C. Using a hair dryer to get to that temp and then relying on heated bed to maintain temperature with 2x100mm fans to regulate temp via a digital thermostat. My enclosure is a bit bigger than yours and made of PIR Insulation board but I found that you can get about 6°C temp difference between the top and the bottom of the enclosed space. As a result I decided to place the temp sensor in about the centre of the rear wall to give an approximate mean temperature reading. I found by doing this I cna keep the temp within the space to +/-0.5°C. You do get some lag between fans cooling and the temperature at the sensor turning them off so you do get overcooling followed by over heating to overcooling etc. As I said I've got this to half a degree either way so I'm reasonably happy.

I was also slightly concerned with draft caused by the fans so I have stuck my fans behind a baffle to try to minimise this. I would have thought that if you are pulling air through filters this should help minimise a direct draft / concentrated air flow

Not sure how well this all works in practice as I managed to burn out my duet the other day while fiddling with wiring so I'm waiting for a new board (today fingers crossed) before I can try it all out.

Jon
February 26, 2015 02:29AM
What is two fan used for? hot smileythank you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 03:41AM by real.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login