Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lower print speed

Posted by stuart576 
Lower print speed
February 23, 2015 08:52AM
I am running stock 0.78c firmware on my Ormerod 1.

I have been trying to lower the print speed in the settings in Slic3r but changing the speeds to any number does nothing. The speed of the print doesn't change.

Is there something I need to put in the printer's config? What am I missing/doing wrong?

Thanks
Re: Lower print speed
February 23, 2015 09:20AM
The stock firmware has minimum movement speeds because of the step-generation algorithm it uses. AFAIR it is 15mm/sec for XY. My 1.00 series firmware uses a much more precise step-generation algorithm that doesn't require minimum speeds.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 24, 2015 02:28PM
So I took the plunge and have switched to dc42-firmware.

I've just cloned the repo and I'm using 1.00k.

My X-Axis is now inverted and from what I have read this is to match the Ormerod 2 wiring. But I cannot seem to work out what I need to do to fix this, if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great.

Thanks
February 24, 2015 02:36PM
Hi Stuart, you have 2 choices:

1. Reverse the X motor connector on the Duet, so that the colours are in the same order as the other 3 motors (as on the Ormerod 2); or:

2. Add a M569 command to config.g. I think the correct command is M569 P0 S0, but if that doesn't work, then M569 P0 S1 should.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 24, 2015 05:41PM
Thanks for the prompt reply, I reversed the X-motor wiring, it is no longer inverted.

I have managed to print some fiddly bits with the first layer printed slowly, which is what I was after, thanks.

Also, sometimes, I can't seem to replicate it on demand, upon moving the head position manually (only x or y, z is fine) it travels really slowly, after travelling fine a few moments earlier. Any ideas?

Thanks again.
February 24, 2015 05:57PM
stuart576
Also, sometimes, I can't seem to replicate it on demand, upon moving the head position manually (only x or y, z is fine) it travels really slowly, after travelling fine a few moments earlier. Any ideas?

That typically happens when you have just done a homing move or G30 or bed compensation, which ends in a slow move, and the next thing you do is to send it a G1 command without a feed rate. So it uses the feed rate of the previous move. In theory, the feed rate should be restored after homing moves and other uses of macro files, but I've just noticed a long-standing bug which means that they are not. I'll fix it in the next release. Meanwhile, as a workaround you could add e.g. G1 F5000 at the end of all the homing files.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login