Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tapered Brass Nut, wrong thread size?

Posted by shadow651 
Tapered Brass Nut, wrong thread size?
February 25, 2015 08:01AM
So,

I've been building my Ormerod 2 kit over this past weekend. But, when I got to the hot end assembly it seems that the tapered brass nut in my kit has the wrong thread size, and won't fit on the nozzle. I'm fairly certain that the nozzle is the right threads because the bowden end and the nozzle fit into the cooling block fine, and the heating block fits onto the nozzle fine.

I just couldn't get the tapered brass nut to start going onto the nozzle, at first I thought I was doing something wrong, but then I got looking and the hole in the nut seems too small.Using a caliper, the nozzle threads seem right, about 5-ish mm (what I'd expect for M5 threads), but the threads in the tapered bolt come out at about ~3.5mm, when the nut should also be M5

I've already sent a note to RepRapPro support, Monday night (although I haven't heard back yet), telling them I think the Nut somehow has the wrong threads and that I'll need a replacement.
I'm assuming that this would be something they'd send me for free

I thought I'd throw this out here, in case there's a bad batch of these nuts floating around. Or in case I'm wrong about what my problem is and someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.
It'll at least be out on the internet to potentially help out others in the future.

I'll try to update this as I find out more from RRP support.
Re: Tapered Brass Nut, wrong thread size?
February 25, 2015 08:31AM
Ok,

so RRP support just got back to me, email below. But basically, at some point tapered nuts of some different sizes got mixed together. They're going to send me a new one of the correct size.

Hi Joseph,

Sorry to hear that the nut is not the correct size . We had a problems with the delivery of M5 and M4 tapered nuts where they got mixed up.

The correct one is M5 and we will get one in the post to you ASAP.

We will send it to:
##########

Apologies for the mix up and any inconvenience caused.

If you would like to take advantage of free shipping on a spares, components or consumables order, please let me know and we can arrange for the order to be shipped with your warranty order item.

Best wishes
Sally
Sally Bowyer
Director

RepRapPro Ltd
[reprappro.com]
February 25, 2015 09:02AM
Hi shadow651

Thanks for highlighting this. We had a mixed batch of M5 and M4 tapered brass nuts from our supplier, but didn't realise until some had already been sent out. The M5 version is used on the nozzle currently supplied with Ormerod 2, the M4 version is used on the new 'Quickset' nozzle, as supplied with Huxley Duo (see: [reprappro.com] - the Ormerod will get this nozzle in the coming weeks). We're happy to send the correct one out under warranty, just email us.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 10, 2015 06:30PM
I have the same issue.... Got an M4 nut instead of the M5.

That alone would've been annoying but fine to get replaced. Well... I also got a Y end plate and the main X acrylic parts were broken during shipping. In my initial email, they said they sent out replacements for the acrylic but more than 2 weeks later, still haven't received them. No tracking either. Just got aluminum replacements instead. (They fit better than the acrylic anyway, and sturdier). Followed up with sales about it but haven't received a reply yet, and also mentioned the wrong nut. 2 days and no reply yet.

I'm absolutely loving the support, community, etc... but the sales/processing side seems.... lacking.

Sorry for ranting, just frustrated.
March 10, 2015 10:14PM
justashaw
I have the same issue.... Got an M4 nut instead of the M5.

That alone would've been annoying but fine to get replaced. Well... I also got a Y end plate and the main X acrylic parts were broken during shipping. In my initial email, they said they sent out replacements for the acrylic but more than 2 weeks later, still haven't received them. No tracking either. Just got aluminum replacements instead. (They fit better than the acrylic anyway, and sturdier). Followed up with sales about it but haven't received a reply yet, and also mentioned the wrong nut. 2 days and no reply yet.

I'm absolutely loving the support, community, etc... but the sales/processing side seems.... lacking.

Sorry for ranting, just frustrated.

I understand,

I just today received my replacement nut today. I live in the United States. I kinda wish replacement parts were shipped ups like the kits, but I understand from a business standpoint why that can't really work.

Another funny thing, I also got a second hot end with the 0.3mm nozzle (took advantage of free shipping with the spare part). But they sent me a Huxley one by mistake..... Just contacted support, I expect they'll send me the parts that are different between the two kits.

Still, I'm a bit dismayed at the frequency of errors. But maybe I just have bad luck....
March 11, 2015 06:11AM
Sorry about the packing problems. We've recently introduced a large number of new parts and products - updated Huxley and Mendel printers, new Quickset nozzle (which hasn't been released on Ormerod... yet), while still trying to support old machines with old parts. This has caused a certain amount of confusion for our packers, while they get used to identifying and handling a broader range of products. We're a small, engineering-led company (only 10 employees, and 3 of them are the directors), and that means there's a lot of human involvement in everything, along with human error!

Regarding shipping, our policy is that spares and warranty parts are sent by the normal postal service; first class in the UK, airmail elsewhere. You can pay extra for tracking and/or courier delivery. We use tracking at our discretion on expensive items, like electronics, but it's just not cost effective on small items. Printer kits are sent via courier, as it is cost-effective for these larger, heavier parcels. This gives a range of options, from keeping the price down, to paid-for fast delivery. The alternative would be to increase the price of all spare parts.

If you don't receive parts, or the wrong parts, the first time we know about it is when you contact us. We deal with all requests as quick as we can. Staff absence in such a small company hits us hard, but bombarding us with angry emails doesn't help either! We endeavour to do our very best to resolve problems.

Ian
RepRapPro
March 11, 2015 07:57AM
droftarts
Sorry about the packing problems. We've recently introduced a large number of new parts and products - updated Huxley and Mendel printers, new Quickset nozzle (which hasn't been released on Ormerod... yet), while still trying to support old machines with old parts. This has caused a certain amount of confusion for our packers, while they get used to identifying and handling a broader range of products. We're a small, engineering-led company (only 10 employees, and 3 of them are the directors), and that means there's a lot of human involvement in everything, along with human error!

Regarding shipping, our policy is that spares and warranty parts are sent by the normal postal service; first class in the UK, airmail elsewhere. You can pay extra for tracking and/or courier delivery. We use tracking at our discretion on expensive items, like electronics, but it's just not cost effective on small items. Printer kits are sent via courier, as it is cost-effective for these larger, heavier parcels. This gives a range of options, from keeping the price down, to paid-for fast delivery. The alternative would be to increase the price of all spare parts.

If you don't receive parts, or the wrong parts, the first time we know about it is when you contact us. We deal with all requests as quick as we can. Staff absence in such a small company hits us hard, but bombarding us with angry emails doesn't help either! We endeavour to do our very best to resolve problems.

Ian
RepRapPro

I know mistakes happen, and I had kinda thought that might be chaotic with all the pre-orders for the 2-color mod shipping out and all. Honestly, I didn't notice the hot end kit was the wrong one, till I noticed that it didn't have the acrylic heat spacer and the fan was smaller than I expected. I always try to be polite in emails, I've been on the opposite side of customer support a couple of times, and it can get very unpleasant when people get all angry.

I think on some level, it's just places like Amazon have spoiled us..... we can get everything in 2 days and they almost never make mistakes because robots do almost everything, and they double check everything that humans do.

About the shipping, like I said above, I get why you can't send everything UPS for free. Personally, I think it's the US post office that makes long shipping times to me..... but my part showed up within the 5 to 7 business days window that Airmail says for shipping to the US, so I don't really have anything to complain about there.
I knew getting into this that I might have to wait a while for spares/replacements because I was getting the printer from the UK, so no big deal. It's such a first world problem though, 'My part from the other side of the planet took a week and a half to show up!'
March 11, 2015 08:19AM
droftarts

Ian
RepRapPro

Honestly I completely understand, was just kind of at my wits end once I realized I had the wrong nut size, on top of the broken acrylic and replacements never showing up. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.

and yes... amazon does spoil us. Thanks for the quick reply! I love you guys, I swear!
March 11, 2015 08:26AM
Hi justashaw

I'm just in the process of emailing you... including the following:

For the wrong size tapered brass nut: as a work around, you can drill out your existing M4 tapered brass nut (ideally with a 4.2mm drill) and tap with an M5 tap, if you have them available. You could even use a standard M5 nut as a temporary workaround; there should be a spare one supplied with the Z axis leadscrew. Make sure the flat of the nut is level with the shoulder of the nozzle, not level with the tip. It's not ideal, but should work adequately.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 11, 2015 09:41AM
all is well again. just chalk this up to me being an angry internet person.

the support is great as always!
April 08, 2015 02:45PM
I've fallen victim to the M4/M5 nut mix-up as well, it would appear. Mildly annoying as I've taken the day off work tomorrow to (hopefully) finish the build! I'll be emailing for a replacement but in the meantime I'll be going through my box of random bits in search of anything M5 as a temporary fix! smiling smiley

Bart

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 05:21PM by bartdietrich.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login