Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Do you lubricate your Z axis ?

Posted by Don Recardo 
Do you lubricate your Z axis ?
March 10, 2015 11:11AM
Do you lubricate your Z axis ? no, that's not a euphemism , do you oil the 5mm threaded rod that lifts the X arm up and down?

I did but found it caused problems , where the oil had been it started to create a black buildup , ( it felt a bit rubbery ) . I dont know if its the oil mixing with
dust in the air , or maybe fine filings as the nut wears out but what ever it was it made it hard to turn the Z axis and worse still it was abrasive and wore the thread off the trapped Z nut
to the extent that I have had the X-arm crash down to the bed because the thread in the nut had worn so much it couldn't grip the threaded rod .
I have so far put about 1.5Kg of filament through the machine and already I am my third trapped nut . The other two just wore their thread away , although the thread on the 5mm rod is fine,
I guess its stainless steel and harder than the nut.

Since then I stopped oiling the rod and so far its been fine , but I wondered if anyone else had the same issue or if not , what do you lubricate it with ?

Don
Re: Do you lubricate your Z axis ?
March 10, 2015 11:28AM
Don Recardo
Do you lubricate your Z axis ? no, that's not a euphemism , do you oil the 5mm threaded rod that lifts the X arm up and down?

I did but found it caused problems , where the oil had been it started to create a black buildup , ( it felt a bit rubbery ) . I dont know if its the oil mixing with
dust in the air , or maybe fine filings as the nut wears out but what ever it was it made it hard to turn the Z axis and worse still it was abrasive and wore the thread off the trapped Z nut
to the extent that I have had the X-arm crash down to the bed because the thread in the nut had worn so much it couldn't grip the threaded rod .
I have so far put about 1.5Kg of filament through the machine and already I am my third trapped nut . The other two just wore their thread away , although the thread on the 5mm rod is fine,
I guess its stainless steel and harder than the nut.

Since then I stopped oiling the rod and so far its been fine , but I wondered if anyone else had the same issue or if not , what do you lubricate it with ?

Don

I apply "3-in-1" oil every 3 or 4 weeks to the Z rod & gears, all ground rods and the extruder gears. Just a drop or two on each. I have not seen any build-up and have been printing for well over a year.

I recommend fitting a sturdier bed frame (e.g. aluminium), and mechanically levelling the bed so that you do not need to apply any bed compensation. Then, instead of the Z axis screwing up and down 100's of times during each layer, it moves just once per layer, increasing its life by at least a factor of 100. Otherwise fit a long brass nut instead of the short steel nut (search for threads showing places you can get one).

Dave
March 10, 2015 12:59PM
Thanks Dave ,
you have quite a point there regarding bed compensation and the extra wear

I printed and fitted the Y axis bearing holder with adjuster for setting the bed level the last time I changed the captive nut so no longer use bed comp and
I put the lack of wear down to not using the oil any more but as you say its more likely the bed comp had been wearing it out

As for a long brass nut , I can make one of those easily enough. One of my other hobbies is model engineering so have the machinery to do a simple job like that

thanks for setting my thinking straight

Don
March 10, 2015 03:17PM
Definitely need the long brass nut, but make sure the screw is 100% mint before fitting or it will just chew it up.

I use 3in1 on mine.

Another RS Ormerod Mk1 meets the world smiling smiley

Retired now but I used to make....
CNC Machined Mk1 aluminium bed support plates for the Ormerod
CNC machined X-plates and ribs for Mk1 & Mk2 Ormerods
CNC machined bed support arms for the Mk2 Ormerod.
Dual Hot-End heatsink blocks.
March 10, 2015 05:46PM
Thanks Dave

I made a new long brass nut and have cut a new threaded rod from a length of 5mm stainless all thread

A 1 meter length cost me £4 but will make three Z rods
March 11, 2015 07:03AM
See the maintenance section: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
March 11, 2015 12:21PM
Don Recardo
I printed and fitted the Y axis bearing holder with adjuster for setting the bed level

Interesting, what is this part? Link?

/Tomas
March 11, 2015 02:22PM
Hi Toma

here is the part

[www.thingiverse.com]

Don

fotomas
Don Recardo
I printed and fitted the Y axis bearing holder with adjuster for setting the bed level

Interesting, what is this part? Link?

/Tomas
March 11, 2015 03:21PM
Ha ha, that's funny. That part is my creation. And the reason for me asking for a link was to se what else there is out there to improve bed levelling. And then you link to "my" part, just lovely!
March 11, 2015 08:26PM
fotomas
Ha ha, that's funny. That part is my creation. And the reason for me asking for a link was to se what else there is out there to improve bed levelling. And then you link to "my" part, just lovely!

The part worked great for me and I am very glad you designed it, I no longer need to use bed compensation

Don
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login