Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can O.ROD3 print like this, with different Slic3r settings

Posted by BenBB 
Can O.ROD3 print like this, with different Slic3r settings
March 16, 2015 01:55PM
Hi All
I was wondering if it was possible to print the same item, on the same print bed, BUT with different SLIC3R settings ?
Lets say I want to print a 20x20mm cube, duplicated 4 times, with each version with different slic3r settings
Say cube 1 is printed at a specific set of setting, then another with different setting speed, layer height etc...
Then save each one as g-code file...
Then if one can import them as individual part and print them all at once next to each other, each one with its own settings...

The reason for this is obviously to get the "perfect" settings for a particular part...or simply to see what the different setting each do

Tx Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 02:03PM by BenBB.
Re: Can O.ROD3 print like this, with different Slic3r settings
March 16, 2015 05:13PM
I think you'd have to get a little dirty with the gcode files, and copy and paste each gcode one after another into a single file (making sure your stop code for the intermediate cubes doesn't have any M0 that will shutdown the printer)

You might also want some code in between them, if for instance your changing temperatures between cubes you don't want the head to sit above a finished cube while pre-heating for the next, so you might have to tell the machine to go to Z=50 or something between each cube. You also want to make sure it won't hit a previous object moving to the next one, it'll move in a straight line from it's current position to the start of the new gcode, regardless of what's on the bed (the printer has no programming to know what's on the bed or not). Probably be best for the G1 Z50 to also have X & Y values approx above the next cubes location (just pick the XY in the first line of the next cubes gcode)

obviously you'd have to position them on the table in slic3r to ensure that they are in different spots (including apron if you're using it!) and there is enough clearance for the print head/X-arm to make the next cube.

This would basically have the printer print all the items sequentially, allowing you to walk away for longer and let it run your experiment with different infills, temps, layer heights, etc....
I suppose someone could create a program or script to automate this (maybe slic3r could add this feature if enough of us want it, and will place a bounty on it). But it's simple enough to do by hand, and I doubt anyone will be doing it often enough for it to be too much of a bother.
March 17, 2015 04:27AM
Spacing the parts along the Y Axis (from 0 to 200 not from 200 to 0) should allow you to print all 4 sequentially as stated above.
Make sure you don't set it to home axis at the start of the sequential prints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2015 04:28AM by jy_oc_hx.
March 18, 2015 03:53PM
You can use modifiers to change some settings with so called modifier meshes in the experimental version.

Tim
March 18, 2015 05:45PM
tstone
You can use modifiers to change some settings with so called modifier meshes in the experimental version.

Tim

Weren't modifier meshes more designed for changing slic3r behavior within a single .STL? Like making some part of an object solid?

Not sure how one would go about only applying a mesh to sequential replicates of an object..... because any mesh you try to do would be applied to all of the objects,
March 20, 2015 10:20AM
Hi All
Tx for the input, bottom line is it`s not that easy to do, you will have to juggle the G-Code for such a scenario, basically stitch the 4 G-code files together, but with each object at a different position
I will try that when time permits
Ben
March 21, 2015 07:55PM
I'm running Slicer 1.1.7 on Mac and it looks like you can do this easily. Add multiple STL's of the same object. Select object you want to modify, click settings and then just add modifiers for the settings you want to be different. You can do this individually for each STL that you add. You can modify anything from print speed, infill parameters, suport material parameters and even layer height although I'm not sure how well that would slice. hope that helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login