Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to Reprap and 3d printing

Posted by LDIsection08 
New to Reprap and 3d printing
April 22, 2015 10:07AM
I just got my Ormerod 2 yesterday and I am starting the build now, so before I start is it normal for some of the laser cut pieces to not be flush with the printed parts? Should I be using a drill bit to the holes that are off? I know it is a dumb question but just making sure.
Re: New to Reprap and 3d printing
April 22, 2015 02:43PM
the holes in the printed parts can be a bit undersized but should be centered compared to the acrylic parts, could you post a picture of the parts and the distance between holes?, BTW, you could also compare the distance between the holes of the acrylic parts against the DFX files on github

Erik
April 22, 2015 08:02PM
thanks for the tip, I run out to home depot(hardware store) and got a small drill bit kit. I drill the printed part a bit to allow the screw to go thru smoothly.
April 23, 2015 07:20AM
LDIsection08
thanks for the tip, I run out to home depot(hardware store) and got a small drill bit kit. I drill the printed part a bit to allow the screw to go thru smoothly.

Next time you go to the hardware store, maybe pick up a set of inexpensive needle files, which I find invaluable for trimming printed parts when you need a perfect fit.

Dave
April 23, 2015 01:53PM
dmould
LDIsection08

Next time you go to the hardware store, maybe pick up a set of inexpensive needle files, which I find invaluable for trimming printed parts when you need a perfect fit.

Dave

DItto, there are hobbyist packs of ~6 different small files, they're invaluable.
and be sure to get metric drill bits. I live in the US and they're hard to find. But trust me, the inch sizes are not 'close enough' tongue sticking out smiley

Also, no question is too stupid or obvious to ask, the people on this forum will be more than glad to help you out if you have any issues.
April 23, 2015 02:18PM
Yeah, I know this community is good, I have been researching 3D printing for a few years and this version was the best bet to learn and grow. Thanks guys I will check out for the files.

If possible are their any good kits online that you guys would recommend?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 03:07PM by LDIsection08.
April 23, 2015 03:07PM
LDIsection08
Yeah, I know this community is good, I have been researching 3D printing for a few years and this version was the best bet to learn and grow. Thanks guys I will check out for the files.

A word of caution - it can become pretty addictive!

Dave
April 23, 2015 03:09PM
dmould
LDIsection08

A word of caution - it can become pretty addictive!

Dave

I totally believe you I already have a plan of the first things that I will start printing.
April 26, 2015 11:09AM
Well I have run into my first problem, now with the USB cable connected into my USB port that is a power (on my computer) port 2 LED lights up in red. 1 is right under the USB port on the board the other one is close to the motor connectors. Now when the ac plug is in and the switch is turned on there is no lights and no fans running. Now with USB there isn't any fans running either, I can see the board under my Device Manager in my computer. So maybe it is the power supply or maybe the green attachment to duet board not 100% sure.

Sorry for the basic explanation.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo 3

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 11:41AM by LDIsection08.
April 26, 2015 11:35AM
You need to connect JP10 as seen here: [reprappro.com]

But if no fans are running, I suggest you disconnect the two cables going to the 5V converter (make sure they don't get in touch with any metal parts!) and measure if you get any voltage between them. If you do, you know the PSU is working well. If that is the case, I suggest you check your wiring again and make sure you didn't mix up +12V and GND somewhere. Otherwise (if you don't get a voltage reading), make sure the fuse is in place and that it is working (check if you get zero resistance across the two pads).

Hope it helps!
April 26, 2015 11:47AM
For the jumper I already have that in place already. I will start taking it apart to check those, I added photos.
April 27, 2015 07:35AM
The fan is connected directly to the 12V supply, so it should run all the time as soon as you turn on the 12V PSU. If the PSU fan is not running it would indicate a problem with the PSU or mains supply. If the 12V is alive, it will be a bad/wrong connection of the fan or 12V as it is unlikely that the fan itself is faulty (but I suppose it could happen). You could fault-find using an ohm-meter with all power off - check continuity on both + and - between the 12V PSU input and each fan wire. The fan must be connected with the correct polarity.

Dave
April 27, 2015 12:17PM
I started to take apart the system (PSU assembly) and noticed the fuse was blown going to pickup some new ones and a surge protector for where I am using the printer.
April 27, 2015 01:12PM
LDIsection08
I started to take apart the system (PSU assembly) and noticed the fuse was blown going to pickup some new ones and a surge protector for where I am using the printer.

There may well be a good reason that the fuse is blown - carefully check that there are no pins shorting to the metal Duet housing, I understand that this can easily happen with the Ormerod 2 design. OTOH it could be a vibration break in the fuse caused during transport and nothing to do with electrical overload.

Dave
April 27, 2015 09:32PM
OK well here is the update, PSU is working the build in fan is working and the fan on the HOTEND is working. I have one light on the main board lit, here is a photo of what I did to the board and I also changed the blown fuse.

Photo1
April 28, 2015 09:34AM
Good news! Now you can carry on with the commissioning. Check the connections to the Z proximity board, as I have read that several people have received a wiring harness with the wires connected incorrectly, so check that the colours all go to the correct pins at both ends (easy to change if not by removing the pins and swapping). Another major issue with the Ormerod 2 has been poor connection to the bed heater board, as it is not a good idea to rely on the bolts to carry the current. A poor connection will cause overheating of the connectors.

Also, never connect or disconnect any of the stepper motors when you have the 12V power switched on, doing so is likely to blow a driver on the Duet.

Dave
April 28, 2015 09:49AM
dmould
Another major issue with the Ormerod 2 has been poor connection to the bed heater board, as it is not a good idea to rely on the bolts to carry the current. A poor connection will cause overheating of the connectors.

Depending on when you bought your kit, you may not have this style bed heater. v528.4 and above have a better design with tabs and push over connectors. Mine (shipped in mid feb 2015) has the newer style. Hopefully this resolved the issue

April 28, 2015 12:10PM
That looks like a much better arrangement!

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 28, 2015 11:36PM
shadow651
dmould
Another major issue with the Ormerod 2 has been poor connection to the bed heater board, as it is not a good idea to rely on the bolts to carry the current. A poor connection will cause overheating of the connectors.

Depending on when you bought your kit, you may not have this style bed heater. v528.4 and above have a better design with tabs and push over connectors. Mine (shipped in mid feb 2015) has the newer style. Hopefully this resolved the issue

yeah I got my printer on 4/21/2015 it has the latest updates, model is 528.4. My problem now is connecting, my computer can see the board meaning in Device manager there is a "Andrino Due" listed. It is using COM8 I am kinda stuck following the Doc files on main site is not all that great for the software setup.
April 29, 2015 12:16AM
LDIsection08
shadow651
dmould

yeah I got my printer on 4/21/2015 it has the latest updates, model is 528.4. My problem now is connecting, my computer can see the board meaning in Device manager there is a "Andrino Due" listed. It is using COM8 I am kinda stuck following the Doc files on main site is not all that great for the software setup.

I had a bit of difficulty getting the Arduino software to communicate to the duet; I did eventually get a powered USB hub, and I was able to get it to work... kind of....enough know the duet was functional. I was never really able to get the duet to reliably respond to the arduino software over USB..... it seemed that the duet receives every command but the Arduino console didn't 'hear' the responses sometimes. I'm sure it's something funky with my computer setup, maybe USB 3.0 doesn't like the duet.

Still, you should probably run through this duet connection problem troubleshooting list, [reprappro.com]
If you still can't get it to work after that someone out here on the forums can probably help you.
April 29, 2015 10:57AM
Do you have Bossac.exe (needed to load new firmware).

Dave
April 29, 2015 01:54PM
I am ok on connecting to the OS, I am working on CALIBRATION.
April 29, 2015 01:55PM
Found that the instructions were quite well made :s ,but i had some problems aswell at the start. but then i used a bad usb cable and noticed it was the problem ,try changing to your phones cable if you have micro usb ,and make sure u selected correct port and the speed 115200. also Rclick on Arduino due in device manager and find the speed setting there aswell .Windows tends to have lower setting for it.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2015 02:05PM by Darathy.
April 29, 2015 02:04PM
I notice it was within my Andrino IDE program that I need to select a board that wasn't listed then i realized that the Duemilanove/Diecimila was the board I need and I set the port to COM8 which device manager listed already. I was able to move the bed and extruder from within the Andrino IDE program, so I decide to open the ormerod.cmd which opens pronterface. I was able to connect and place commands in and see Temps on head and Bed. I tried printing right from there but the head and bed moved but no filament came out so I am working on getting filament to the head and homing.

Well homing works and the head heats up but my extruder is starting to make clicking noise and barely any filament comes out.....???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 01:29PM by LDIsection08.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login