Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ormerod not recognized in Device Manager

Posted by nomad218 
Ormerod not recognized in Device Manager
May 22, 2015 03:04AM
Hi,

My Ormerod 2 is not recognized by my PC anymore. Device manager shows only communications port (COM port 1) and Printer port (LPT1) when the device is plugged in. Tried with the 12V supply powered on and off, with different cables, different USB ports and uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and the Arduino IDE.
This has happened atleast three times before. The first time, reinstalling the Arduino IDE worked. Second time it just started working on its own after a week. And the last time, I used it on a different PC and tried it on my PC again and then it worked.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

nomad218
Re: Ormerod not recognized in Device Manager
May 22, 2015 03:29AM
1. Are these any "Unknown device" instances shown in Device Manager, perhaps in the USB port listing? If so, it's probably a device driver issue.

2. Otherwise, can you still connect to the printer over Ethernet? If so, it's probably a poor connection between the cable and the USB socket on the Duet, or the USB socket is not adequately soldered to the PCB.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 22, 2015 04:40AM
1. Nope. No "Unknown device' instances. Somehow, its started working again right now, though I dont know for how long.
2. I have never been able to connect over Ethernet. Assumed it had something to do with my office network's proxy settings.
May 22, 2015 08:35AM
nomad218
1. Nope. No "Unknown device' instances. Somehow, its started working again right now, though I dont know for how long.
2. I have never been able to connect over Ethernet. Assumed it had something to do with my office network's proxy settings.

Sounds like a dodgy USB connection. Many Duets were supplied with poorly soldered USB sockets, and that type of socket is *very* easily damaged by pulling on the cable at a slight angle. A full size type B socket would IMO have been a better choice, or at least a mini socket rather than a micro. If it is intermittent it is probably easily repairable by re-soldering.

Proxy settings will no longer affect Ethernet connectivity when it is on the same LAN as the PC you are using. You need to ensure that the IP address set in the config file is the same subnet as the PC (first 3 digits the same as your PC IP address) but is not an address used by anything else (different last digit to any other device on the LAN). I believe the latest official RRP firmware will pick up an address automatically if you set it to 0.0.0.0 and have a DHCP server on your LAN (which you likely do have). The very early firmware had a web interface that required access to the Internet and was thus affected by proxy settings, but has not been the case for a long time - just make sure you are using the associated web files on your SD card.

Dave
May 27, 2015 01:04AM
Guys. I just found out. My DUET cannot connect once I turn off the 12v power supply. The red light on the DUET is on. But it stops communicating once I turn off the 12V supply.
May 27, 2015 07:49AM
nomad218
Guys. I just found out. My DUET cannot connect once I turn off the 12v power supply. The red light on the DUET is on. But it stops communicating once I turn off the 12V supply.

That would indicate that the USB port you are using is unable to supply enough current. You could try another USB port on the PC, or put a powered USB hub between printer and PC, or simply never connect without the 12V being on. Be aware that changing the USB port or using a hub will probably change the COM port number.

Dave
May 27, 2015 07:59AM
Or the USB socket has become detached, and not passing 5V power.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 27, 2015 09:09AM
droftarts
Or the USB socket has become detached, and not passing 5V power.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support

He stated that the red LED on the Duet (presumably the Y end stop LED) lights up when the USB is connected without the 12V. If the USB power pin was detached I would not expect that to happen, but an inadequate USB supply would result in a low voltage being applied directly across that LED (via a resistor) which would cause it to emit some light even if the voltage is too low to get the CPU running.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 09:10AM by dmould.
May 27, 2015 09:19AM
@dmould: The red LED I was referring to is the one right next to the RESET button at the top of the board. The Y end stop LED is somewhere in the middle of the board and turns off when the bed is at the end of its Y axis travel, correct?
With the USB cable plugged in, and the 12V supply off, the LED next to the RESET button glows. And the Y end stop LED glows when the bed has not reached the end of its Y axis travel.
May 27, 2015 12:59PM
nomad218
@dmould: The red LED I was referring to is the one right next to the RESET button at the top of the board. The Y end stop LED is somewhere in the middle of the board and turns off when the bed is at the end of its Y axis travel, correct?
With the USB cable plugged in, and the 12V supply off, the LED next to the RESET button glows. And the Y end stop LED glows when the bed has not reached the end of its Y axis travel.

The same applies to that LED - it is effectively connected across the 5V rail (the Y endstop LED is powered from the 3.3V rail via the endstop switch), so I would expect it to also illuminate with any voltage above a volt or so. It is commonplace to find LEDs illuminating on a board where the power rail voltage is too low to operate the board - my only point was that it proves that there is some voltage getting to the board, and the only place it could be coming from is the USB connector, proving that its power pin cannot be disconnected (I doubt that there would be sufficient leakage from the USB data line to bring the 5V rail high enough to light any LEDs). Of course it could also mean that the USB power pin is making a poor, high resistance contact, but that is a far lower probability than the PC not having enough power capability in its USB socket, which is extremely common (especially with laptops).

Dave
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login