Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't get Arduino Duet to communicate

Posted by robot_artist 
Can't get Arduino Duet to communicate
May 24, 2015 09:01PM
Having some issues getting my arduino duet to communicate w/ my computer. I am commissioning it. I have not done any 3D printing with it so far. I am using windows 7

I'm
-using a powered usb hub
-usb light is on
-for board, i am using Arduino due (native usb port)
-made sure the baud rate is 115200 on both the com port and the serial monitor
-using Arduino 1.6.1 ( I do have the bossac.exe and listcom.exe)
-updated my drivers (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoDue#toc10)
- in the cmd prompt, i typed listComports.exe and it shows that an Arduino is listed
-tried to flash the latest firmware using bossac.exe --port=COM6 -e -w -v -b RepRapFirmware-104-02-02-2015.bin and it says "No device found on COM6" even though it shows up in my device manager and the Arduino ide

I have not erased or reset the firmware on the Duet yet and that may be why I was unable to flash the firmware. That would be the last thing I want to try though.

My next option would be to try it with a Mac and see if that makes a difference. Any other suggestions? Pics are attached
Attachments:
open | download - ormerod_debugging1.jpg (270.6 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging2.jpg (163.1 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging3.jpg (183.8 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging4.jpg (192.2 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging5.jpg (175 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging6.jpg (230.6 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging7.jpg (183.8 KB)
open | download - ormerod_debugging8.jpg (107.2 KB)
Re: Can't get Arduino Duet to communicate
May 25, 2015 02:59AM
You can't flash the firmware with bossac until you have erased the firmware. But you should be able to communicate with the board using Arduino serial monitor. Make sure you have the line ending set correctly, and that you are typing in the G and M commands in upper case. As your board will be running old firmware, you will probably need to wait about 1 minute after power up before the board becomes responsive.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 25, 2015 06:02AM
The erased Duet identifies itself as a different product on the USB port compared with a Duet that has valid firmware. Therefore Bossac does not recognise the board type when firmware is loaded - it must be erased first. N.B. - After you have erased the board it will usually come up on a different COM port which Bossac should use (but will revert back after it has been programmed).

Dave
May 25, 2015 06:48AM
You must press erase and reset. It says this in the firmware flashing instructions! [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
May 26, 2015 03:46PM
dc42
You can't flash the firmware with bossac until you have erased the firmware. But you should be able to communicate with the board using Arduino serial monitor. Make sure you have the line ending set correctly, and that you are typing in the G and M commands in upper case. As your board will be running old firmware, you will probably need to wait about 1 minute after power up before the board becomes responsive.

thanks for all the replies.

dc42, what is the line ending and how do I set it correctly? I usually wait about 5 min and even after typing the G and M codes I still get no response in the Arduino serial monitor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 03:46PM by robot_artist.
May 26, 2015 03:52PM
robot_artist
dc42, what is the line ending and how do I set it correctly? I usually wait about 5 min and even after typing the G and M codes I still get no response in the Arduino serial monitor.

It's at the bottom right of the Serial Monitor window, next to the baud rate. Set it to Newline.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 26, 2015 04:11PM
dc42
robot_artist

It's at the bottom right of the Serial Monitor window, next to the baud rate. Set it to Newline.

Strange, it is set to newline. If I did all of the following and Arduino shows up in my device manager, then why would I see nothing in the Serial Monitor?

-made sure board is on correct port (COM6)
-using a powered usb hub
-usb light is on
-for board, i am using Arduino due (native usb port)
-made sure the baud rate is 115200 on both the com port and the serial monitor
-using Arduino 1.6.1 ( I do have the bossac.exe and listcom.exe)
-updated my drivers (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoDue#toc10)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login