Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Config System lines of code missing?

Posted by Paul_Avery 
Config System lines of code missing?
June 01, 2015 01:23AM
I've been trying to get my Ormerod working with the new firmware (1.09) and I seem to be struggling with extrusion as well as heating the bed up. I believe it may be to do with missing code?

Initially the extruder motor was not extruding/turning at all and I then found some new code online and so added that to the config file. I had tried defining the tool beforehand as it may have been this stopping the extruder turning, however in Pronterface, it was saying that it was attempting to extrude with no tool selected, even when a T1 command was sent

That code was:

M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1 to use extruder drive 0 and heater 1 (heater 0 is the hot bed)
G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

And so now my config file is like so:

; RepRapPro Ormerod
; Standard configuration G Codes
<<<<<<< HEAD
M111 S0; Debug off
=======
>>>>>>> duet
M550 POrmerod; Set the machine's name
M551 Preprap; Set the password
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; Set the MAC address
M552 P10.28.133.193; Set the IP address
M553 P255.255.240.0; Set netmask
M554 P10.28.128.1; Set the gateway
M555 P2; Emulate Marlin USB output
T1 ; Select head 1
M92 E420; Set extruder steps/mm
G21 ; Work in mm
G90 ; Absolute positioning
M83 ; Extrusions relative
M558 P1 ; Turn Z Probe on
G31 Z0.5 P500 ; Set Z probe height and threshold
M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E800 ; Motor currents (mA)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z15 E1000; acceleration tweaks for improved finish
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z300 E3600; speed tweaks for improved finish
M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1 to use extruder drive 0 and heater 1 (heater 0 is the hot bed)
G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

However, since adding that whilst the extruder motor does turn, once an M302 P1 and T1 command have been sent, the heated bed no longer works, ie it has false readings and the LED does not come on, presumably cos its reading it as hot already, and when everything is at room temperature, I check the arduino serial monitor and send an M105 command and receive this:

ok T:64.0 B: 64.1

Why are my temperature readings so high? Can anyone help me out here?

All I am trying to accomplish is to get a normal working printer sad smiley so i send an extrude command, and it does it, and i send a temperature command, and it heats up. Please help, I've been trying to battle this for a while and my printer has been offline for about 2 months now. Apologies if this comes across quite rash, saying I want it working and all, but I hopw you can understand how frustrating this has been for me.
Re: Config System lines of code missing?
June 01, 2015 02:34AM
Hello,

How old is your printer?
There were a series with some not perfect Duet boards roughly one year ago. DC42 added for these boards for example some new commands, but you would have got also an replacement. I kept my Duet Board and added these lines (the board was not really defective):
M305 P0 H14 L-11					; set ADC correction
M305 P1 H14 L-11					; set ADC correction

However these lines are for my Duet and they probably do not work on other Duet boards.
Do you have a 4k7 board? This one also needs other parameters.
June 01, 2015 03:15AM
The usual reason for getting readings around 60C at room temperature is that you have a Duet board with 4.7K series resistors but you have not mentioned this in config.g. Also, the standard is to call the head T0 now, not T1. Take a look at the config.g file from the same repository that you got the new firmware from.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 01, 2015 08:19AM
Hi dc

Out of interest.

What does the firmware do with github merge comments in the config file?
Are they ignored?

The config above has:
<<<<<<< HEAD
M111 S0; Debug off
=======
>>>>>>> duet

Which I beleive usually come from merge conflicts in the repo?

Are all lines which do not start with M,G or T ignored?

Lloyd
June 01, 2015 08:37AM
Hi Paul

I replied in the other thread you posted in: [forums.reprap.org]
(Some of the below is copied from the other thread.)

You're using an old config.g and probably other files from a previous firmware release. Whenever you change firmware, you MUST use the SD Image files supplied with that firmware; if you mix different versions of SD Image and firmware, it may cause unexpected results. See: [reprappro.com]

I've updated the commissioning instructions to reflect firmware changes. Understanding how tools are configured, and how to enable them (which will get the extruder working), are covered there. See: [reprappro.com]

Generally, after switching on the printer, you need to enable the correct 'tool'. As standard, the firmware is set up to use 'T0', so send 'T0' to enable the hot end. In firmware 1.09, extrusion is not allowed if the hot end temperature is too low; ie cold extrusion is prevented. You can override this with 'M302 P1'. This is covered in the calibration instructions, here: [reprappro.com]

Make sure that gcode files you are using do not change the tool number from T0 to T1. This will be early in the gcode file. You can edit this in the gcode file directly. Check your Slic3r settings (or use our latest profiles), that T0 is the enabled tool. This is usually set in Slic3r > Printer settings > Custom G-code > Start G-code, so that any gcode you generate uses the correct tool. We changed the first tool to be T0, from T1, in the v1.04 firmware release, as that is what everyone else uses.

Unless you've changed the Y axis ends, and put the microswitch of your Ormerod 1 at the other end of the axis, continue to use the sys folder for Ormerod 1; don't use the Ormerod 2 sys folder. Also, the Ormerod 2 expects a 4-wire modulated probe, rather than the 3-wire probe shipped with Ormerod 1. If you have not updated the probe, and use the Ormerod 2 settings, you'll probably get erroneous readings.

Finally, your temperatures. You have a Duet with 4k ohm resistors. See: [reprappro.com]

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
June 01, 2015 08:23PM
Thank you everyone for your replies, and by following the instructions provided by Ian (Thank you Ian!) I am now able to get my printer running. The only issue I have now is that the web control page refuses to load :/ so because of this I am using Pronterface, but at least I have something to work with.

Thanks again!
June 02, 2015 12:54AM
Try to type "T0" in the Pronterface command window. After that the Web interface should load. If so try to move "T0" of your config.g to the end or if it not works remove it totally. You can also try the fork from dc42. The web interface is much better than Pronterface.
June 02, 2015 07:35AM
Generally, we don't select the tool in config.g because any tool change code (ie macro) will not run, when the tool is selected in config.g. This shouldn't effect most people, but if you have special tool settings which need to run the tpre, tpost or tfree macros, you should be aware of this.

Any tool selection in config.g MUST come at the end; if you select a tool before it is defined, I'm not entirely sure what effect that will have, though it should just deselect tools, as your selecting a tool that has not been defined. Though subsequently defining the tool may cause strange effects!

I think dc42's firmware network code and web interface are the same as the one shipped with v1.09.

Paul: See the current networking instructions here: [reprappro.com]
And the troubleshooting guide here: [reprappro.com]
If that doesn't help, post your config.g, so we can see your network settings.

Ian
RepRapPro tech support
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login