Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delay between extruders in dual head

Posted by ThorsenRune 
Delay between extruders in dual head
July 31, 2015 01:06PM
Hi. Just got my dual color upgrade working.
It it normal that there is a long pause (about 30seconds) between the two colors. i..e when the extrusion changes from one to another extruder. ? It increases printing time dramatically. How can it be avoided?
Re: Delay between extruders in dual head
July 31, 2015 01:59PM
i think its the time it takes for the 2nd nozzle to heat up ,you could increase standby Temperature of the nozzle to 130 or 150.
July 31, 2015 03:39PM
Check that in your tool change files, the M116 commands only wait for the new tool to reach temperature (P parameter in the M116 command). I added the P parameter some time ago for this purpose. Waiting for the old tool to cool down as well is unnecessary, and slows down tool changes.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 01, 2015 01:20AM
If you want fast prints and are doing colour changes each layer then set your standby temp to equal your active temp.

The downside is you may get a lot of ooze, there is a balance between fast prints and clean prints, I've found the best solution is to use the ooze shield function on Simplify3d

If you are not colour changing each layer then its best to keep a separation between standby temp and printing temp, yes this will increase your print time.

I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to multiple heads your problems double with each extra head, I've been using a tri colour Mendel 3, and after doing some cool tri colour prints I've temporarily decommissioned the extra extruders whilst I upgrade to ABS and work on my printing techniques, Ill probably be bringing the extra extruders back online when I start playing with dissolvable support and conductive fiaments.
October 06, 2015 06:29AM
Dear dc42
Could you please elaborate on how I should use the M116 command. The printer seems to halt between extruder change eventhough i have
G10 P0 S195 R195 ; Set tool 0 operating and standby temperatures
G10 P1 S195 R195

each time an T0 or T1 is issued the printer stops for a while (1 min)
Thank you very much
Rune
October 06, 2015 08:19AM
Can you post a picture of what the temperature graph in the web interface shows during a tool change? Are you sure you don't have temperature-setting commands in the gcode file you are trying to print?

In my tpre0.g and tpre1.g files I have G1 X1 Y205 F6000 to move the head away from the print during tool change. In tpost0.g I have M116 P0, and in tpost1.g I have M116 P1.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 06, 2015 09:55AM
Ohhh, thank you ever sooo much for your reply DC42 I found the other post about tpre0.g files. I just removed the M116 and now it's much faster when standby and working temperatures the same.
I cannot figure out if slic3r can set the G10 commands??

Thanks DC42.
October 06, 2015 11:26AM
slic3r doesn't generate G10 commands, but it does typically generate M190 and M109 commands, which change the active temperature.

Changing tools should be immediate if the active and standby temperatures really are the same, even with M116 commands in the tool change files..

October 06, 2015 12:59PM
Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login