Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Power Supplies

Posted by KimBrown 
RepRap Power Supplies
September 29, 2015 07:05PM
I'm a little confused to be honest....
The Newer Ormerod 2 ships with the new style 200W power supply, and yet there are ATX 600W power supplies up for sale.
The 200W claims to give 20Amps (um.... my maths says then it's 240W???).
And the 600W ATX gives 50Amps (600/12=50A)...
So why the shift to the new style power supplies? (Cos it looks Pretty??? Comes with a fast food vending slot??? Wakes you up after the print has finished with a welcoming cup of Tea??? Maybe if you run enough extruders you can use it as a Toaster?????). smiling smiley

Only asking, cos with me upgrading to dual or triple extruders(later) I've plumbed for the 600W ATX....

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Re: RepRap Power Supplies
September 30, 2015 12:52AM
Hello Kim,

you got something wrong. The ATX power supplies was first ship with the Ormerod. As far as I know they changed the power.
An ATX-power supply provides more than one voltage: -12V; 3.3V; 5V Standby; 5V operating; 12V. (I hope I did not forget a voltage). The 600W is the total power provided by all these voltages in sum. The manufacturer can provides different power for the supplies so you cannot say how much power the 12V rail gives to you. According to this the manufacturers sometimes split the 12V in two or three rails and so the 12V rail will provide you (I guess) something between 200-400W in this case. Hard to say.
Later they switched to the new power supply that gives you some advantages:
- It can be directly mounted to the Oermord
- The power supply provides only one rail
- Less cables
- The output voltage is adjustable so you can push up the voltage to 12.5V for example that gives you shorter heating times. An ATX-power supply can drop below 12V. My 600W PS from RepRapPro dropped to 11.8V.
The 20Amps of the new PS are provided only for a short time and the value of 200W says what it can supply permanently. It is formerly meant for inrush current and to make sure if you have some kind of circuit breaker or other fuses to ensure they can trip in a case of a short circuit.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I hope this helps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 12:52AM by Treito.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
Re: RepRap Power Supplies
September 30, 2015 09:38AM
Cheers Treito, ok got that....I'd forgotten about the other voltages.... But yep I understand where your coming from......

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login