Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis Beef Up

Posted by KimBrown 
Z axis Beef Up
September 29, 2015 07:38PM
Having had the Ormerod 1 for sometime now, and it clocking up the miles with me on the road (1000miles/month), and getting bounced about on a ship 50% of it's life, there came a time where the Z axis mounts said enough was enough and ran off to a better place....
(Ok they broke....).... So I've Beefed them up now. Re-printed them with 70% infill, and that has really done wonders (it was quite comical printing these with a G clamp holding the machine together, and the printer mounted on a pile of books, but these machines can be in a real mess and still give usable results). I've also added a Bolt where the Z axis meets the Y axis rear frame.... This alone has made the Ormerod very ridged.
The bolt used is an M6 x75mm Gutter Bolt (available from B&Q here in the UK). Just under the domed head, is a square that fits in to the recess of the Ally profile a treat. I've finished this off with a Nyloc Nut, then trimmed the bolt down to length.
So that's the first two stages of the Z axis Beef up done. The third is to add a diagonal stay from the top of the Z axis profile to the end of the Y axis profile (behind the power connection box). The Ally is at home so that stage will have to wait for a week or two to get done, but I've included
a picture. The stay will link points 1&2, and form a triangle that should stop the Z axis drifting off the vertical with the traveling the machine does.

BTW The Bearing Caps on the rear of the Z axis support rod clear the Bolt nut by about 1mm if your wondering, but you have to tighten the nut up so the there is a flat facing up... I also use my 1mm extended nozzle mount and 3mm glass.

Hope this helps,
Kim

Please send me a PM if you have suggestions, or problems with Big Blue 360.
I won't see comments in threads, as I move around to much.
Working Link to Big Blue 360 Complete
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login