Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Web interface stats wrong

Posted by bartdietrich 
Web interface stats wrong
October 14, 2015 06:38PM
Hi all,

This may be of interest to the firmware developers here. Apologies if this is a known issue.

I have had problems with some of the stats the web interface was reporting during a print: the first layer timer would never stop (or never start in the first place), first layer height would be wrong or n/a, and the layer counter would start at some number other than 1 (usually three, sometimes it would not advance at all). This then caused some of the estimated completion time indicators to display completely outlandish figures (or just "n/a"). This was happening with the original firmware, zpl and dc42 firmware so I assume the web interface is common to all of them. Curiously, this problem would only occur with files that I had slic3d myself, not with the example G codes that came with the printer, so I did a bit of digging into Slic3r settings.

The parameters of interest are under "printer settings"/"extruder 1". My initial settings were: "retract on layer change=1", "retraction length=2" and "lift Z=0.1".

Disabling "retract on layer change" fixed the first layer height and layer counter problems. First layer time was still not displayed correctly.

Setting "retraction length" to 0 also fixed some of these problems.

But what fixed everything (without having to disable "retract on layer change" and "retraction length") was setting "lift Z" to 0: the layer counter now starts at 1, the first layer time is displayed correctly (and the timer stops after the first layer), the first layer height is displayed correctly, and all print time stats appear reasonable.

I'm using Slic3r 1.2.9 and dc42's firmware (whatever version was the most up-to-date a month ago) but had the same issue with zpl's and RepRap firmware before that.

Again, apologies if this is a know issue. Just thought it might be useful to report it here. Would be interesting to know whether this behaviour is a bug or a feature...

Cheers,
Bart
Re: Web interface stats wrong
October 14, 2015 07:04PM
Hi Bart,

as you say, it's the "Lift Z" option that confuses the firmware which reports the layer stats to the web interface. I will improve the responsible component quite soon, so we can hopefully get rid of this problem once and for all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login