Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Endswitch activity

Posted by gazoox 
Endswitch activity
October 25, 2015 09:50AM
Hello Guys...

I'm using my Ormerod without auto bed calibration, just using the "paper method"... Is it possible to activate end switche check during print or while manualy moving the head, to avoid crashing into the ends? I plan to add microswitches on the end of X and Y axis.
Due to my manual configuration without auto homing and changing max values, limit positing from config are no longer valid and crash may occur if not specially take care.

BR
Stephan
Re: Endswitch activity
October 25, 2015 10:50AM
In RepRapFirmware, the switches are used as homing switches only. You would need to modify the firmware if you want to activate them during normal movement. What do you have against homing at least the X and Y axes after you power the machine on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2015 10:50AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 30, 2015 07:39AM
When I change bed material, the IR sensing does not work. So my practicial method is to home everything manually: by paper under nozzle moving X,Y axis by hand instead of moving command, moving x,y to a 0/0 position by hand...
Had the case several times to crash in the ends.
I know this is not the typical method, but maybe when some more people could require end switch activity during print.. Maybe sooner or later or for some other reasons...

Regards
Stephan
October 30, 2015 07:58AM
The x/y-axis homing is independant from the bed material so let me repeat dc42's question:
dc42
What do you have against homing at least the X and Y axes after you power the machine on?

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
October 30, 2015 08:11AM
gazoox
When I change bed material, the IR sensing does not work.

Then you might be interested in my mini differential IR sensor, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. It uses two beams of IR light instead of just one so that the trigger height is almost independent of bed surface, and it works on most bed surfaces except mirror.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2015 08:12AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 30, 2015 11:20AM
dc42
Then you might be interested in my mini differential IR sensor, see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com]. It uses two beams of IR light instead of just one so that the trigger height is almost independent of bed surface, and it works on most bed surfaces except mirror.

I had other sensors considered.. Except microswitch for Z, my doubt is against the repeatability as for the original design. Does your sensor ALWAYS work without modify parameters even after changing bed material?
October 30, 2015 11:32AM
From my experience you need to use a different Z trigger height for each bed material (and colour) - if all of your bed surfaces are e.g. white though, I figure you won't have to adjust it again. But if you do, you could create a few macros for the web interface and adjust the trigger height on-the-fly. You could even put them in a separate directory if the macro list becomes too crowded.
October 30, 2015 11:33AM
The trigger height of the sensor I make does depend slightly on the bed material, so when switching between different bed materials you would need to send a new G31 command with the correct Z parameter for that material. One way of doing this is to set up a macro for each bed material. If the choice of bed material depends on which filament type, then you can use the same macro to heat the nozzle and bed to operating temperatures in preparation for bed probing - I have Prepare PLA and Prepare ABS macros on my machines for doing this.

October 31, 2015 06:11PM
By the way:
Had some questions about PLA/ABS bio compatibilty / hazards:
[forums.reprap.org]

Maybe you guys have some advice.. The "polymer working group" does not seem to have much activity.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login