Advanced

E3D V6 nozzle with Ormerod 2.

Posted by Europa 
Re: E3D V6 nozzle with Ormerod 2.
February 29, 2016 11:53AM
dc42
Traumflug
derek5a
BUT It mentions that the command doesn't work with any firmware?

Perhaps, because it's an entirely pointless command. Temperature is controlled all the time, so before temperature gets even close, heaters are already turned off.

It needs quite some imagination to construct a case where such a temperature is reached and the firmware manages to avoid damage. If the firmware works, it doesn't get there and if the firmware doesn't work, it's unlikely it can heal its self. Instead of writing such code it's better to make sure the existing code is reliable.

My main business is safety critical software. Where the software is necessarily complex (as it is for a 3D printer), and the safety-critical functions (controlling temperature in this case) are coupled with other functions (which is the case here because both are done in the main loop, and other things may delay repetition of the main loop), it is good practice to have independent and much simpler code to monitor safety. So RepRapFirmware checks the thermistor readings against lower and upper limits every time it reads them. It reads one thermistor every other tick interrupt, so on a Duet that's each thermistor every 14ms. If the tick interrupt fails, the hardware watchdog will reset the machine, turning off all the heaters.

So in the context of RepRapFirmware, M143 is not a pointless command, because it would be used to set the safety limit in the config.g file. The current fixed limit of 300C is a reasonable limit for most users, but not for this particular one. The limit is also the maximum temperature that we allow the user to set. I don't know whether in Teacup you guard against a user sending M104 S2250 when he meant M104 S250, but in RepRapFirmware we do.

Would it be possible to implement the M143 command?
Or can you implement the extended temperature range in firmware and provide a one off fork for me?

I would absolutely LOVE to do it myself but the compilation problems are dragging on much longer than id like.

Thanks
February 29, 2016 01:50PM
I'll look at including M143 in my next release.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 29, 2016 01:52PM
Any idea how long away that is likely to be?
February 29, 2016 04:35PM
derek5a
Any idea how long away that is likely to be?

Hard to say because I have a lot of other work on, including RepRapFirmware for the next generation Duet. Possibly 2 weeks.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 01, 2016 04:45AM
No problem...

I'll just keep persevering with the compilation and hope I can get it ready soon...

What area in the source code holds the 300 limitation code?
March 01, 2016 11:02AM
I've just implemented M143 and built a binary. Hopefully I may have time this evening to do some basic testing and make it available.

The 300 constant in in config.g.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 11:03AM by dc42.

March 01, 2016 01:16PM
That would be brilliant... Thank You
March 01, 2016 04:10PM
I have put the binary at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com], however I am having trouble getting it to extrude. I don't know whether it is a hardware or a firmware problem yet.

March 02, 2016 01:12PM
Just to keep it all together... I plan on reflashing the firmware with this file tomorrow!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank You
March 03, 2016 07:49AM
Mixed news...

Having tried the M143 mod of firmware the command definately works.. As does the homing of X and Y...

I've had the temperature of the hotend above 300C as per the command. However 9 times out of 10 during the phase of heating up there appears to be a problem.

A fault appears:

Temperature fault on heater 1, temperature above safety limit, T=2000.0

This appears at a variety of temperatures while heating up usually around 270? Then the temperature readings for the hot end cut off.

I was able to test extrusion and it seemed to work as did everything else.

The only thing I couldn't thoroughly test was the Z probe (Our x axis is currently broken and we are awaiting an aluminium version). But we were getting what appeared to be believeable G31 readings.
March 04, 2016 05:20AM
2000C is what the firmware reports when the thermistor is shorted, or there is a short between one of the thermistor wires and ground. When using a thermocouple, I think it is again reported when there is a short between the thermocouple and ground. Have you insulated the thermocouple junction from the heater block?

March 04, 2016 05:36AM
Yeah which is what i'm finding strange... Your earlier firmware everything was fine i was cranking it to ~295 with no issues.

I've now switched to chrishamm's firmware which seems so far to be working... though it does do something slightly annoying...

Possibly because we're still using the standard power supply, but the hot end seems to take ages to heat up to temp... It tends to through up an error because it didn't reach temp in 150secs. So i'm having to heat up the hot end in stages... But other than that no issues.

With yours i'll be honest I was sceptical it wasn't a hardware issue also, but having rechecked everything then testing different firmware the error has stopped?

Was everything heating up ok with you?
March 04, 2016 07:54AM
Mine was heating up OK but I didn't take it as high as 270C.

March 07, 2016 07:10AM
derek5a
It tends to through up an error because it didn't reach temp in 150secs. So i'm having to heat up the hot end in stages... But other than that no issues.

You can increase the heater timeout by adding M570 S to your configuration file, but I'd rather advise you to do some PID tuning instead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login