Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help: Error reading file

Posted by Fpex 
Re: Need Help: Error reading file
February 01, 2016 04:56PM
Looks like it has reached the end of the file, or it thinks it has. Two suggestions:

1. Are you certain that the file on the SD card is complete? When using slic3r, it's quite easy to upload a file to SD card before slicer has finished writing it. Put the SD card in a PC, check the integrity of the file system, open the file in Notepad++ or similar, and go to the end of the file to see if the end gcode and closing comment block is there.

2. Are you still getting those "Error reading file" messages? If you are using the web interfacer or PanelDue, go to the Console page to see them.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 01, 2016 05:00PM
he file is fine. I have previewed on cura and simplify3D ndI also check if briefly with textedit(possible because it stops after few layers) directly from the SD.
It happens with most files (there might be a dependency on file dimension, nut sure).

I have not installed the panel due yet. I am readying one for my OB, but i would ty to attach it to it next time. Anyhow the web interface reports no error at all.

Thanks a lot for helping out!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2016 05:08PM by Fpex.

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 02, 2016 03:07AM
So you were getting "Error reading file" messages before. Now you don't, but the symptom you are getting still suggests a premature end of file condition. What did you do that made the messages go away?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

February 02, 2016 03:07AM
Installed your firmware.

February 02, 2016 03:13AM
Ok, my guess is that you are still getting the file read errors but my firmware isn't reporting them. I'll make a note to check this out before my next release.

As you have already tried several different SD cards, there must be a fault on the Duet. Either the SD card socket, the processor, or one of the pullup resistors must be faulty, or have a bad soldered joint.

February 02, 2016 03:16AM
I will be trying more SD cards, is there a way to bypass the SD somehow to see if the error is there?
On the mendel I can do it via pronterface, but this does not work on the duet.

February 02, 2016 03:24AM
To bypass the SD card you could print over USB from S3D, repetier host or Pronterface. Make sure you have the program set up to not wait for OK after each response.

If you are able to build the firmware, another way would be to use Dan Newman's fork and build a cross between the Duet and RADDS builds, so as to use the Duet pin numbers and web interface, but the SD card support from the RADDS port. Then connect an SD card socket such as the one on PanelDue to the SPI pins on the expansion connector. I don't advise this unless you are good with electronics and firmware.

February 02, 2016 03:28AM
I tried with pro9nterface, but is sends the gcode to the SD card for printing and then starts a print (and disconnect)
S3D I have it .... but I have not profiles for the ormerod and never tried to print with it

I am also trying to get a duet 0.6 .... swapping in a new board could also help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 04:20AM by Fpex.

February 02, 2016 04:47AM
Fpex
..S3D I have it .... but I have not profiles for the ormerod and never tried to print with it..

This worked for me (AFAIR, using PanelDue now)

Erik
Attachments:
open | download - ormerod168.frm (1.1 KB)
February 02, 2016 01:23PM
It get stuck also with pronterface, i get the error printer disconnected, but actually the printer is still connected and all temps stay high as they should.
It does not look like an SD problem, i start to feel that my duet is gone.

February 02, 2016 06:01PM
Is there way to change the modulation of the heating (bed or hot end) via config.g to reduce current consumption. I want to check if my problem is related maybe to a weak supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2016 06:03PM by Fpex.

February 03, 2016 03:01AM
You could switch the bed from bang-bang to PID using the M301 command, but I am not sure that this makes it any easier on the power supply, especially with my 1.09r release because it uses a low PWM frequency for compatibility with SSRs.

February 03, 2016 08:29AM
Fpex
Is there way to change the modulation of the heating (bed or hot end) via config.g to reduce current consumption. I want to check if my problem is related maybe to a weak supply.
You could maybe do a "dry run" with both bed and hotend turned off and no filament loaded, and if that works do the same run with the bed turned on to see if it might be the culprit.

Dave
February 03, 2016 09:07AM
I am going to try a run with bed off.
If this fails, I will try to remove the external 12/5v board (since it gets rather hot).
If this fails, i will try to use a different supply.
If this fails, I try to wire a duet 0,8,5 instead of the current 0.6
Ig this also fails, .... no clue.

But all signs indicate a supply problem as a dip in supply on USB and SD reader could explain the pronterface failure and the sudden EOF indicated by the firmware. The problem is to figure it our what is going on.

UPDATE: keeping the bed off still fails .... I now fear for the board or the supply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 09:40AM by Fpex.

February 03, 2016 09:43AM
Fpex
I am going to try a run with bed off.
If this fails, I will try to remove the external 12/5v board (since it gets rather hot).
If this fails, i will try to use a different supply.
If this fails, I try to wire a duet 0,8,5 instead of the current 0.6
Ig this also fails, .... no clue.

But all signs indicate a supply problem as a dip in supply on USB and SD reader could explain the pronterface failure and the sudden EOF indicated by the firmware. The problem is to figure it our what is going on.

AH the external 12v-5v board that you don't actually need if it is getting warm then the o/p voltage may well sag
wire your 12V PSU directly to the Duet and swap the 5v jumper over prob now on JP10 move it to JP9 and use the onboard 5V convertor.

HTH

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 09:43AM by dougal1957.
February 03, 2016 09:54AM
That is one of the things i will be trying. before plugging in another supply

Anyhow it is so how the dissipator on the regulator that i burn myself at touch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2016 10:34AM by Fpex.

February 03, 2016 10:52AM
Fpex
That is one of the things i will be trying. before plugging in another supply

Anyhow it is so how the dissipator on the regulator that i burn myself at touch

I would try that first if it was me
February 03, 2016 11:12AM
I would like to try a,so another slicer, instead of slic3r. None of the simplify3d profiles i found works.
Any idea how to get cura producing correct code ?

February 03, 2016 11:49AM
Fpex
..Any idea how to get cura producing correct code ?

Frank's Cura plugin:

[forums.reprap.org]

Erik
February 03, 2016 02:54PM
The current dc42-FW should be fine with the Cura generated code so the plugin is not needed anymore.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 03, 2016 03:05PM
Well, as i suspected printing from pronterface, web, slic3r, cura, printer face and even on OS X and windows, makes no difference.
For some reason the printer did not get stuck on the original whistle.g ... but anything else i gave her, did not work.
When i have time i will dismount the duet and remove the external regulator and see. I find it very unusual for it to get so hot that i get burned if i touch the dissipator i put on it.

February 03, 2016 03:31PM
If you have installed the PanelDue now, please read the note in the fitting instructions about providing sufficient 5V power for it - that could explain why your 5V regulator is getting hot.

February 03, 2016 03:56PM
Thanks.
I knew of it, it gets hot regardless of the panel due.
I love panel due, pity the console ca not help me debugging the problem i am having.

Honestly, i am kind of walking in the dark with this issue. if i had a spare duet 0.6 i would just do swap and see what happens.I have a duet 0.8.5, maybe i use that.

February 03, 2016 04:33PM
just try the onboard regulator (it can supply much more current than the external one anyway) not even sure that you need to remove the external one maybe you can just move the jumper but not certain
February 03, 2016 05:24PM
Without a PanelDue or other external load, I don't think the 5V regulator should be getting too hot to touch, assuming you are still using a 12V power supply. Perhaps another Ormerod 2 owner can confirm this?

In which case, there is an abnormal load on the 5V or the 3.3V supply. Is the atsam microcontroller also getting hot?

February 04, 2016 02:41AM
The panel due makes the regulator warmer, from very warm to hot. The mcu is a bit warm, and its temp does not change with the panel due presence.
I have run several tests with bed or hit end off, and with your firmware and new web interface the printers gets stuck and the print is reported completed. Same with panel due.

this is consistent with diagnostic indicating end of file.

This is for me a sign of possible supply problem, either on a board or in the supply. I have seen this problem on my work also when an ex colleague forgot to ground the shields causing the entire chip to live on a thin ground line and causing failures of SD/USB because of it and/or eventually mcu corruption.

February 04, 2016 03:42AM
I only can confirm that the external board including the PanelDue is getting very hot (102°C) including a small heatsink. Even with the heatsink is nearby the shutdown. So I could imagine that the regulator without PanelDue and without heatsink also may get very hot because of the much smaller surface. I decided to switch to the internal power regulator later.
Normally you can keep the external board connected as you remove the connection to the Duet with the jumper. It could be easier if you have an original board (which provides more connectors) and if you use the DuetShield for example.
Unfortunately my Ormerod 2 is totally broken so I cannot run other tests at the moment. I have to rebuild my Ormerod 2 first replacing nearly all parts.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 04, 2016 04:15AM
Thanks. I dismounted everything and I will use both ATX a d LED supply (since I have a 850w ATX in house to check on load).
If it fails, I will try to connect a duet 0.8.5 even if at first glance it does not look straightforward. I want to get to the bottom of this !

February 04, 2016 07:27AM
i removed the external regulator to no avail. The prints et stuck and they are treated as end of file (the X axis gets homed and the printer is idle, even if all motors are locked)
Also, but not sure this is normal with DC firmware, the print starts without waiting for the hot end to reach temperature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2016 07:28AM by Fpex.

February 04, 2016 07:31AM
No, that's not normal. Can you post the first 50 or so lines of the gcode file you are trying to print?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login