Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new printer problems [prusa i3] (print head wont feed)

Posted by adexin 
new printer problems [prusa i3] (print head wont feed)
January 22, 2016 07:28AM
i got reprap prusa i3 DIY kit once i got it set up i found that the printer head did not work properly. after pulling apart i found that when trying to print, the motor lock then for a small amount of time it would unlock allowing it to move freely. by putting force on it i found that it would turn the same rate that other printers extrude as if it only freed up when it needed to move. looking at it without putting force on it appears to move forward slightly,then on the next tick it would move back and then repeat. so yea, it follows the tool path correctly form what i can tell, and the hot end works and every thing is work inf on my computers side as well.

so yea in short the print head wont feed.

also i cant find a proper way to mount/ unmount the filament --[EDIT: i worked this part out i think, i just need to get the motor working on the print head]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 06:25PM by adexin.
Re: new printer problems [prusa i3] (print head wont feed)
January 23, 2016 05:37AM
Hi adexin,
have you seen here?
[shop.prusa3d.com]

take a look.... maybe can help
[reprap.org]

Dario

Ormerod 187
Firmware Electronics: Duet 0.6
Firmware Version:1.18.1 (2017-04-07)
Web Interface Version:1.15a
Slic3r 1.2.9a and Simplify3D 4.0.0
[www.dropbox.com]
January 23, 2016 10:32PM
no luck, could it be that the driver chip is dead? maybe ill get a new chip...
January 24, 2016 12:41AM
As long as you do not use a Duet controller board you maybe should ask here as this is a complete other machine type and another controller board.
[forums.reprap.org]

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 25, 2016 10:40AM
Not sure I understand exactly what you are describing. If the extruder moves forwards and backwards with each move instead of extruding steadily forward, it may be that you have set the controller to absolute extrusion mode (M82), but the slicer is set to output relative moves. Check that your start code is sets the printer to relative moves (M83).

Dave
January 25, 2016 07:14PM
dave, i tried changing M82 to M83 in the start code just now and it made a difference although it still did not work, i had all the same traits, but with this time it slowly speed up over time
January 25, 2016 07:37PM
hmm... i was looking around and saw that the driver chips get warm up after some use, after some use i found that while the other chips are warm. but the extrudes one (E axis driver chip) was a lot cooler them the others
January 25, 2016 11:36PM
This could be a normal behavior. It depends on the current you selected for your stepper motors and how much load you have at your motors.

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
January 26, 2016 07:47AM
adexin
dave, i tried changing M82 to M83 in the start code just now and it made a difference although it still did not work, i had all the same traits, but with this time it slowly speed up over time

It is very important to select the same extrusion mode (absolute or relative) in the start code as you have set in the slicer application. Most of us use relative mode. Try printing one of the example G-code files (e.g. the snowman) which will be set correctly.

To check the drivers, remove the filament, turn off the power and temporarily swap the extruder connector at the Duet end to the X or Y motor connector. Then power on the printer and send the command "G92 X0 Y0" via Pronterface or the web control, then use the web interface or Pronterface to move the X or Y (whichever you have the extruder connected to). You should see the extruder rotating smoothly. If it is not smooth it probably indicates that you have a bad connection on one of the motor wires (or a bad motor). You can also connect the X or Y motor to the extruder output on the Duet to test the driver is OK. Never connect or disconnect a motor when the power is on - it can blow the driver chip.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2016 07:48AM by dmould.
January 28, 2016 12:10AM
ok, so trying to run the example G-code files yield the same results( extruder did not work)

tried plugging extruder into the "X" axis controller port and using the built in move function would move as expected given setup, (proper turning when input receved, locked when not turning, ect) so yea that worked
January 28, 2016 01:30AM
The problem that I've experienced with the Prusa i3 setup is the Polulu stepper driver chips - I've had a few of them fail on me and the symptoms are as you describe. It's a fairly cheap replacement, but an annoyance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2016 01:30AM by VortyZA.
January 28, 2016 08:21AM
adexin
ok, so trying to run the example G-code files yield the same results( extruder did not work)

tried plugging extruder into the "X" axis controller port and using the built in move function would move as expected given setup, (proper turning when input receved, locked when not turning, ect) so yea that worked

In that case try plugging the X or Y axis motor into the extruder output. If that has a problem it would indicate a faulty stepper driver chip. You will need to enable cold extrusion to be able to operate the extruder when the nozzle is cold, and also ensure that the correct tool is selected.

Dave
January 28, 2016 07:41PM
dmould
adexin

In that case try plugging the X or Y axis motor into the extruder output. If that has a problem it would indicate a faulty stepper driver chip. You will need to enable cold extrusion to be able to operate the extruder when the nozzle is cold, and also ensure that the correct tool is selected.

Dave

yea what i did yesterday was i found that there where was no difference in the chips for stepper motor chips (X Y Z E) so i switched the chip for "E" for one on the other chips (X Y Z) to test it via the "move" mode on the printer. doing this allowed the extruder stepper motor to move properly,

im looking into getting new chips, i think its this one is my best bet [www.ebay.com]

i did come a cross an issue where the motor would be extruding then click a few times then start going backwards. i think this may be due to having something misaligned making it get stuck on a lip or some thing (i know that the heating on the hot end works ) but ill work on one problem at a time,

thank you and everyone else, you've all been the best help I can find for rezolving this issue, I had spent way too long trying to work this out so thank you all very much!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login