Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I mounted my Duet without a steel enclosure

Posted by 0x0000 
I mounted my Duet without a steel enclosure
February 20, 2016 03:10AM
My printer is offline at the moment while I wait for a new hotend, so in the meantime, I thought I would address the problem of my power supply and Duet being ziptied to cardboard on the side of my desk. It's taken me a couple of weeks to arrive at this point, and I'm happy with how it turned out. Given the scarcity of the stainless steel enclosure, I thought I would share my build in the hopes that it helps someone else who can't get their hands on one!

Look ma! No steel enclosure! Definitely not CE compliant... sorry smiling smiley

Two 5mm boards, cut with a halflap joint and screwed into the existing power supply holes. The power supply is mounted to the printer with a lasercut acrylic spacer, as per the Ormerod 2 documentation.

I've separated my AC connection from DC with an HDPE sheet I've ironed into shape from a used milk jug. This replaces the printed AC cover until I can print something better.

@dmould supplied me with the PSU brace. It's held in place with a printed M4 T-nut, which is the only thing I've printed successfully!

The IEC hole is 50mm x 30.5mm, cut 5mm from the bottom corner. The Duet is mounted to the wood using 4x 3+15 hexagonal standoffs. The two boards are hardboard 5mm thick. One board is 12 x 17cm. The other board is 7.5 x 17cm. The two grooves were cut 5mm from the edge, halfway down and up each respective board. The result is a corner joint held in place by friction - no screws. From there, it's relatively easy to screw four holes in from the back, and mount your hexagonal bolts to it. I used M3x8mm for both ends of the hex standoffs - accounting for the thickness of the board, there should be plenty of space remaining inside the hex to attach the Duet. So far, I've noticed that the orientation of the Duet is somewhat important - the one that works the best for me is having the LAN, USB, and SD connections down in the bottom right.

I originally wanted to do the entire thing from HDPE plastic that I've scavenged from 3 litre milk jugs, but it's a really fickle material to work with. It cuts really easily and is really sturdy (especially if you can fuse several sheets together), but it warps like crazy once it cools. A clothing iron works wonders smoothing it out and folding to a crease. Not sure of the precise melting temperature, but you'll get a good crease somewhere between "synthetic", "silk" and "wool"!

Overall, I'm really happy with how this turned out. I've reclaimed some space on my work desk, and my cabling should be much tidier now that I have fixed lengths to work with! Since mounting the supply to the printer, I've noticed at it's actually much sturdier... it no longer rotates very easily about the Z axis now that there's some weight attached to it. Now to get my spool mount attached!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 03:12AM by 0x0000.
Re: I mounted my Duet without a steel enclosure
February 20, 2016 05:16AM
There are also a number of printable enclosure designs on Thingyverse, including my adaptation here [www.thingiverse.com] of bobtidey's design.

btw I have a spare steel enclosure that I am prepared to sell for not very much, but because of postage costs it probably only makes sense for someone in the UK to buy it.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 20, 2016 08:42AM
I'm still working on my enclosure. Heres what i got so far:

I am hoping to just use M3x50mm screws on the bottom of the metal plate of the old Duet 0.6 and just slide the entire thing on them and securing with nuts(probably gona print something so i can unscrew it by hand).

BTW DC why did they put screw terminals for the hot end on duet 0.8.5? wasnt the standard connection(molex? dont remember name) like on duet 0.6 good anaugh? I am waiting for crimping tool to arive so i can install the new duet.

And a tip: check the USB solder ,mine isnt soldered well....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 08:53AM by Darathy.
February 20, 2016 08:49AM
Awesome

Slicer: Simplify3D 4.0; sometimes CraftWare 1.14 or Cura 2.7
Delta with Duet-WiFi, FW: 1.20.1RC2; mini-sensor board by dc42 for auto-leveling
Ormerod common modifications: Mini-sensor board by dc42, aluminum X-arm, 0.4 mm nozzle E3D like, 2nd fan, Z stepper nut M5 x 15, Herringbone gears, Z-axis bearing at top, spring loaded extruder with pneumatic fitting, Y belt axis tensioner
Ormerod 2: FW: 1.19-dc42 on Duet-WiFi. own build, modifications: GT2-belts, silicone heat-bed, different motors and so on. Printed parts: bed support, (PSU holder) and Y-feet.
Ormerod 1: FW: 1.15c-dc42 on 1k Duet-Board. Modifications: Aluminium bed-support, (nearly) all parts reprinted in PLA/ ABS, and so on.
February 20, 2016 09:35AM
Nice! Would you share the design in editable form???
I am starting to male mine, but yours is a better start point!!!

----- Making the world smarter @ www.xetal.eu
----- Helping entrepreneurs @ www.fralke.com
February 20, 2016 10:13AM
i am making it in Solidworks ,can save a step file but dont know if you can edit it then? unless you are also using solidworks
February 20, 2016 10:24AM
I can use step files, that would be great

February 20, 2016 11:03AM
Here are the step files hope you can edit them smiling smiley
DuetMount.STEP
DuetMount-cover.rar
February 20, 2016 11:04AM
thanks!
But is the rar a car or a STP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2016 11:05AM by Fpex.

February 20, 2016 11:18AM
i compressed the STP file becouse it was too big to upload here. You will need winRAR or i am not sure if windows can open it by itself.
February 20, 2016 02:39PM
Thanks.

February 21, 2016 08:48AM
the step file has only the bottom part.

February 21, 2016 09:01AM
The top part is in the Rar file. It is 2MB and i cant post it here otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2016 09:02AM by Darathy.
February 21, 2016 09:25AM
ok thanks. I will need to find a unbar for mac then.

February 21, 2016 03:50PM
Unarchiver in the App Store should be able to do it. It's free! smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login