Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New build Mendel Max with Duet controller : current showstoppers

Posted by Pumlux 
New build Mendel Max with Duet controller : current showstoppers
October 11, 2015 03:17PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the 3D printer world and building my first 3D printer.
The basis is Mendel Max 3 with some changes to design and build space.
Currently I got stuck with simply testing of the Duet electronics with DC firmware fork :
RepRapFirmware-1.09j-dc42.bin

When connecting via ehternet I got an Web browser message that drag-n-drop of gcode files is not possible.
I tried with Firefox 41.0.1 and Chrome 45.0.2454.101 m

See the screenshot. Can anyone advice what this error is causing and how to solve it ?

Thanks
Pumlux
Attachments:
open | download - Drag-n-Drop error message.JPG (120.4 KB)
Re: New build Mendel Max with Duet controller : current showstoppers
October 11, 2015 05:10PM
That looks like an old version of the web interface to me. I suggest you update the files in your /www folder on the SD card from [github.com].

Latest firmware supporting CoreXY is now 1.09k-dc42. Read [reprap.org] if you haven't already.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 12, 2015 04:47PM
Thanks David,

your are completly right. I changed to the webfrontend from your link and things looks better and I can store gcode files on the SD card via Ethernet now.
The path I got the 'old' version is the dev fork from Github.
Which branch from your RepRapFirmware fork should be used as the most stable one ?
I will than update my firmware version to the 1.09k release.

I didn't found the configuring docs you linked yet, working mainly on building the mechanic part yet.

One more question, (as I feel my understanding of CoreXY printer is wrong today), is there an overview available showing the difference between a
cartesian and a CoreXY printer ?
I get a bit the feeling the Mendel_Max is a cartesian printer.
(sorry if this is beginner question)
October 12, 2015 04:53PM
The dev branch is the correct one to use. I thought I had an up-to-date version of the web interface in my repo, but I will check.

Pumlux
One more question, (as I feel my understanding of CoreXY printer is wrong today), is there an overview available showing the difference between a
cartesian and a CoreXY printer ?

The biggest difference is that with a Cartesian printer, one motor controls just the X motion and another motor controls just the Y motion. With a CoreXY printer, there are two motors that each affect both X and Y motion. You turn them both in the same direction to get X motion, and in opposite directions to get Y motion - or vice versa.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 13, 2015 05:01PM
Hi guys,
Pumlux
One more question, is there an overview available showing the difference between a cartesian and a CoreXY printer ?
I never heard about any overview between one vs the other.
I see some advantages for the CoreXY system :
- X and Y motors are not mounted on any moving assembly so the gantry is light, and that means fast.
- the two XY motors are working mostly together to move the XYcore assembly in both directions
- lightness and dual drive helps to reach fast accelerations.
- the printhead is guided on 4 points in push-pull mode, which is more efficient and stable.
- the printbed moves only on the Z axis, so it can be large and heavy without affecting the overall printer's performance.

++JM
October 14, 2015 04:22PM
That explanations helps to get a rough understanding on the CoreXY printer and the one I'm building is a cartesian printer. The screenshot shows how I think it will look at the end.
Sorry to have this post opend here in the wrong section, can a mod move it to the right forum ?
May be the "General Mendel Topics" one is better for this thread.

Thanks for the fast and very helpful feedback you give me already.
Attachments:
open | download - Mendel Max 3.1 under construction.JPG (113.1 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login