Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PC Power Supply

Posted by BobFA 
PC Power Supply
November 09, 2011 10:29PM
So I was just given X-Power Pro 650W PC power supply.

1. Should I have any problems with this? Like over powering my RAMPS or Heat Bed? for example
On PCPowerSupply reprap wiki it says that
"On the ATX 2 power supplies, there may also be additional sense wires
that need to be connected to the corresponding voltage. These are
usually thinner wires, and should be connected to a wire of the same
colour."
Can someone tell me if mine has it or not or help me figure that out? TY
Also the 3.3V sense wires that I need to connect are pin 13 to pin 12?
Just watching this that got me inspired to do it this way.

2. I want to hook it up (to my MK1 heat bed and RAMPS) like the MakerGear Prusa Mendel Kit
Does anyone know what these 4 pin connectors are called or has a link on where to buy them?

3. PC Power Supply are Huge especially with all the wires (and wires coming out of those wires...and then wires coming out of those wires... then they stop) has anyone seen some creative ways to hide them? Or embrace them?
I was thinking on doing what MakerBot does and make a plywood box for it.
Re: PC Power Supply
November 09, 2011 11:47PM
As Jeremy Clarkson (presenter of BBC car show "Top Gear") would say: "There's no such thing as too much power!" As long as you only hook up a maximum of 12 V (i.e. don't short the mains voltage to the 12 V side, and don't hook the -12 V to Ground, coz you might get 24 V total!), and connect to your RAMPS with correct polarity, you can't really "overpower" the RAMPS, and your unit has enough power to be able to power the Heat Bed as well. Your power supply is rated to 650 W, but it will only actually deliver as much power as the load demands.

With respect to spare wires - bundle together enough wires of the same colour to provide the power / current supply capacity you need, and use these, and just cut off any left-overs and seal the ends with insulation.

If you follow the instructions on the Wiki [www.wikihow.com], you end up with binding posts to attach your leads to as a desktop laboratory power supply unit. In my case [julianh72.blogspot.com] , I left the spare wires attached projecting through the hole at the back of the unit, insulated them and wound them into a neat bunch at the back of the unit, in case I ever want to access them for other purposes, but I think my unit will mostly end up being a dedicated power supply for my RepRap, so I will probably never need to access them. The "official" Wiki version of the ATX Power Supply installs binding posts for +/- 12 V and +/- 5 V - but you actually only need Ground and +12 V for RAMPS; the others may be useful for a general purpose electronics power supply. I brought out the +3.3 V line as well - just because I could, and it might come in handy some day.

Most power supplies come in a quite presentable box anyway, and it "looks the part" for a home-built 3D printer. (I don't WANT my RepRap to look like I bought it from a shop!) It seems a bit odd to put a box in another box (unless you are a fan of Russian Dolls). If you do package it into another container, make sure to leave the ventilation free, or it could overheat very quickly.

The connectors go by a variety of names - headers, connectors, etc - and there are dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of different varieties. Most come in male and female halves; some are soldered, some are crimped, etc. Go to your local electronics / hobby shop to see what they carry. my local (in Australia) is JayCar [www.jaycar.com.au]

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login