Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Somewhere i have a .stl problem, im not sure where.

Posted by legion99999 
Somewhere i have a .stl problem, im not sure where.
January 10, 2012 08:24PM
So i have everything working, the printer prints .stl files from thingiverse great. Both slic3r and pronterface, slice .stls from thingiverse without issue, but i have been unsuccessful slicing, my own .stls that have been converted from ascii .stls to binary. I suspect my .stls that i thought i had converted were not converted at least not correctly.

I have tried google to change my drawings....i cannot get the plugin to work correctly. Shows up fine is the .stl viewer, but when i slice them it prints one small circle and returns to home.

I have tried netfab with the same results as Google, looks fine, prints one small circle.

I also tried the cad plugin, was is cadspan, it looks fine but wont slice either.

Im wondering if i attach some of my raw .stls, converted .stls, could someone take a look and see if they can make a workabel slice from them?
I have everything else workign great but for some reason this >stl problem is kicking my butt.

i have used, windows 7 and vista and made multiple attempts with each, to no avail.

Derek
Re: Somewhere i have a .stl problem, im not sure where.
January 10, 2012 10:51PM
Go ahead and post some and see if anyone can solve this for you

January 14, 2012 08:16PM
I may have found part of my problem. It appears that i did not install the gooogle .stl plugin correctly.
When i download the plug in an unzip it it comes up with a .rb file extension. When i open that to install in google theres nothing there.
January 15, 2012 12:33AM
Hmm I'm not sure what CAD program are you using again. I use Solidworks as part of my job and it outputs to .stl natively

January 15, 2012 07:48PM
i use bobcadcam and it outputs .stl as well. However it doesnt put out to binary .stl...does solid works output to binary .stl?
January 15, 2012 09:25PM
No Idea as I run them through netfabb afterwards as Solidworks isn't great at meshing and then save them again

January 26, 2012 08:24PM
I use SolidWorks extensively and I export stl files that I can slice directly in Sfact. I have been doing a lot of organic surface stl exports lately (footware lasting models) and it works nicely.

There is no option to save as a binary stl tho. That's available for parasolids, but not stl's in SolidWorks.

If you post a file, I'll try opening it in SW. If it opens, I'll save stl's for you to try.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login