Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confusion on Construction

Posted by totokan 
Confusion on Construction
April 22, 2008 10:02PM
After hearing about the idea from a friend, and researching it until I found this website, I now hope to build one of these machines. I am fairly competent with a variety of hard- and software, and can handle a soldering iron among other tools.
I can't seem to figure out, based on the information available at [parts.reprap.org], what parts I need to order. Should I choose all of the check boxes, or only the first one? Some assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Confusion on Construction
April 22, 2008 11:01PM
If you want to build a Darwin, you will need to either build or buy [bitsfrombytes.com] the plastic parts.

Then you will need to decide if you want to use the PIC electronics or the Arduino electronics. The Arduino [parts.reprap.org] is the way to go because it is the official new direction that RepRap is headed in.

However, if you want to build a Mcwire RepStrap, you need to locate alot of these parts at you hardware store or at [store.rrrf.com]

Jay
April 23, 2008 02:45AM
As Jay says first what are you trying to build? Second what is in short supply money or time? or bothsad smiley

We supply a full kit of mechanical parts for Darwin it is very convenient as you get everything and it all fits together, but you can often source parts cheaper by going the surplus route and the RP parts can all be home made from wood but i believe this is quite a major undertaking.

Depending on where in the world you are and what you can easily source locally affects what you might need from people like us & the RRRF.

Most customer either take the full kit or the RP/Moulded pats kit and an extruder hardware kit, I would also recommend the timing belt as it fits our pulleys which are metric.

Hope this helps and welcome to the world of RepRap

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
April 23, 2008 07:23AM
Well, thanks for your help guys, I want to build a "Darwin" without a RepStrap first, so I figured I would have to buy the parts from that (your) website. I live in the city of New York, and I have enough funds set aside for this project that it won't stop because I run out of money, and enough free time (currently) to work on it.
I suppose that arduino electronics are the way to go, and that would be what I want to use.
April 26, 2008 03:47PM
I apologize for double-posting, but I am still completely lost on what to do, and after looking at my previous post, I seem to be making the point that I have figured it out.
Quite the contrary, I am still as confused as ever. Knowing now that I want to use arduino electronics, and build a Darwin without a RepStrap, what should I do?
April 26, 2008 05:35PM
Buy Arduino PCB from Zach and all the components from one of the suppliers in the parts lister and buy a mechanical kit from Bits from Bytes (but i would say that >grinning smiley<)

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
April 26, 2008 07:01PM
Thats exactly what I did, and it worked out really well.

Jay
April 26, 2008 10:03PM
Now, I was going about the process of building a step-by-step ordering process of this totokan and realized that in the Parts lister when you select the Cartesian Bot v1.1 and generate a parts list it doesn't give Bits from Bytes as an ordering option. WTF!

I'm indignant for Ian.

Demented
April 27, 2008 03:40AM
Thanks your indignance is appreciated smiling smiley

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
April 28, 2008 08:29AM
As far as I can tell, you can buy the arduino kit,the other pcb kit stuff and the steppers/motor from Zach and the mechanical parts from BfB(as a full kit, I think that the gold and silver are the cheapest sets that don't need any more work. Everything else is just very basic stuff for the electronics you can get from anywhere. that is enough right, since the BOM is really confusing given it doesn't include BfB or rrf as a supplier, where I'm going to get most of the parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2008 08:32AM by Peter Hillier.
April 29, 2008 06:21AM
Thanks guys for all the help, I may start ordering parts after this weekend, and I'll make some sort of log for the internet or something...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login