Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ambitious RepRap builder

Posted by stefanturcanu.11 
Ambitious RepRap builder
February 14, 2012 12:25PM
Hello everyone!

I am new to all of this so please excuse my lack of transparency and knowledge in what concerns the topic. I have been spending the past few days browsing the wiki and the forums and so far my head is 99% closer to implosion from digesting this huge amount of information. So please bear with me. eye popping smiley

First things first, my name is Stefan and I like in Denmark. I want to get started building a RepRap as a hobby and, why not, for a possible commercial purpose. (money makes the world go round, right? smoking smiley )

I have considered taking the Prusa Mendel as a first build - as it is the easiest way to get used to the FFF technology.

The reason why I am writing this message is that I could not find out some bits of information which I find important.

Information such as:
1. what kind of materials can be used, in filament form, other than PLA and ABS?
2. I've noticed the fine outcomes many of you guys have got from hours of sweat, work and tears of joy. However, I am wondering if there is any method of creating a smooth surface (close to or identical to the one on Lego bricks) ?
3. has anyone figured out what type of surface treatments can be performed on the finished goods?

If there are already existing topics I would so APPRECIATE IT if you could point them out for me. I just couldn't find them - no laziness included.
Thank you and hope to be posting my take on the RepRap tech soon! I'm anticipating I will start buying the parts in March.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2012 12:27PM by stefanturcanu.11.
Re: Ambitious RepRap builder
February 15, 2012 05:38AM
Hello Stefan, PLA and ABS are the two materials commonly avaliable for these machines. I'm sure folks have tried others but they havn't become popular. Surface finish is a function of nozzle size. Smaller nozzles give you smoother surfaces but at higher print times. Most folks try to make the print either functional for some reason or try for some look. The goal is not normally to get the glass smooth finish of an injection molded part. However in terms of post treatments, I know of none for PLA. You might be able to coat it with something to make is smooth. Acetone is commonly used on ABS to smooth its surface. Good luck.
February 15, 2012 09:11AM
Thank you for answering my questions.

I was wondering the other day about which platform to choose to work on. Is there any major difference between the software available for windows and linux? If there is a tendency of getting more updates for the linux version of the printing software etc.

This question popped out due to the recent SOPA,PIPA,ACTA events. It may sound like I'm paranoic but I just don't like having Autodesk or any other CAD products without a license (currently I am using the Student Version - provided by the university).

What is your experience with both/any of the platforms?

Thanks again! smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 09:14AM by stefanturcanu.11.
February 15, 2012 10:41AM
Most of the applications (for slicing, hosting or creating) use generic languages like Python so they should work on either platform.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
February 15, 2012 02:21PM
I use Windows and run both an original Mendel and a Prusa as well as Pronterface, Repsnapper, Slic3r and Skeinforge with no problems

February 15, 2012 07:35PM
A far as the design tools most folks in this site seem to like openscad. Basically you define objects using code and create a STL file. They are even talking about more automated way to go from openscad to a printer. I work on code during the day, and would rather not have to do it as a hobby, so I use one of the many free design packages called autodesk 123D. This site has design section that describes all the free choices out there. I found that some packages favor shapes, some favor ease of use and other favor building of components. No matter what someone says there is no best package, however I wouldn't go out and purchase one for use on a 3D printer.

the favored software to drive a machine is in Python. On my windows machine I'm amazed how well that code works.
the arduino firmware is all written in C. My sense is that they pretty much go the firmware code as efficient as it gets. It won't change much until the hardare evolves like dual extruders, rotary axis, tool changing and the like. So I don't think you will need to worry much about keeping up with new revisions. Just jump in and go in some direction.
February 15, 2012 08:09PM
@JoeDaStudd

Thanks for the tip!

@NelsonRap

Good to know. I will start analyzing the variation in software on my VM until I will get all the parts delivered.

@dean448

You are perfectly right. I was unsure about Python running on Windows, as by my knowledge it is mainly used in UNIX systems. I really enjoyed Autodesk 123D. As I am working @ the university with Inventor I am familiar with the commands and processing. The demo video is impressive and insightful. I will be definitely trying this software as well!

My main goal is to actually print the assemblies I create in Inventor Professional for my semester projects. I have checked the printing options in Inventor Pro 2012 and they are the same as in 123D and with a lot more customizing - however I did not manage to apply a live preview of the triangle generation.

I will give both a run as soon as I will be a proud happy owner of a Prusa Mendel smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2012 08:10PM by stefanturcanu.11.
Hi Stephan
If you nees Danish Help try my thy3d.dk there Are some Info here in Danish also if you want english try www.thy3d.com
I dont know what part of Denmark you from. But my reprap workshop is open for reprappers if they Call first. To insure that im home....
You ar welcome to contact mé.
Regards

Søren
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login