Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maya File compatability?

Posted by Nadesican 
Maya File compatability?
May 15, 2012 12:59AM
Hey all! I'm an artist and 3d modeler, and the concept of having my very own 3d printer is just too good to pass up.. but I have a slight issue with file compatability. I've read in the manual that the program that actually prints takes files generated by CAD, a program I don't really use.

Is the current software compatable with Maya, 3ds max, and/or Zbrush exported files? If not, is there some sort of adapter?

I'd really hate to get started on this only to be tripped up by software.
VDX
Re: Maya File compatability?
May 15, 2012 02:48AM
... the printer software accepts STL-files, so either you'll need an STL-exporter in your CAD or a separate 3D-converter from your basic file formats to STL ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: Maya File compatability?
May 15, 2012 03:17AM
mayaExportSTL 0.1.0 (maya script)

Export STL from Maya for 3D printing

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
just in case you weren't aware: if you're using zbrush you can use the "3d print exporter" plugin (http://[www.zbrushcentral.com]), to export .STL's, and, if you've downloaded the latest release, they've got some really great features like "dynamesh" and "shell" that should make prepping models for 3d printing more "3d artist-friendly"*.

*don't worry, i speak of my own people (since i'm a 3d character artist, in the north bay).

i hope you don't mind, but i actually had some questions i wanted to ask you. i'm thinking of building my own 3d printer and, as a person that's entering this community from a similar trajectory, i'm intrested in your perspective:
-which reprap version and options did you settle on? why?
-did you purchase a kit or pre-built unit?
-did you try sourcing parts from the community, here on the forums?
-what are your goals (prototyping, finished pieces, mold-making, satisfying curiosity, play, etc.)?

cheers,
-j

p.s. to everyone: i think this technology has the potential to change the way things are done, on many levels, and i'm energized at the thought of jumping in! (...and, howdy!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login