Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap SourceForge Site

Posted by Leav 
RepRap SourceForge Site
June 23, 2008 03:22PM
Hi guys!

I have a team (Ok, me and another dude from my university) gearing up for our own RepRap (yay!).

So "Team Israel" (that's what I call us smiling smiley had a meeting today and were trying to sift through the parts listed at the SourceForge site and it wasn't really simple...

So here are the problems we encountered, on some we seek your help (please!!) and on some we have suggestions:

1)To many packages listed under the objects tab at SF.net
There are so many versions and names there that it is hard to understand what is the latest, what is unique (i.e. is release 1.1.1 more recent than "Cartesian bot 1.0.5"?) only the dates give you a clue and most importantly: what is compatible with what?

2)Rapid Prototyped parts are indistinguishable from any other parts in the "Object Files" category downloads
I really don't think that the bed for RepRap should be in the same directory as the corner bracket (for example).

3)The Parts list @ google docs has multiple versions in it and is very confusing because of this
also, no collation of RP parts into one list (e.g. some parts are listed as "5 needed here" and then 40 lines down you find the same part again "3 needed here") this is contrary to the logical way of manufacturing where you need to know hoe many parts you are making of each similar item.
(obviously when assembling you would want them separated)

4)some parts listed as RP on google docs are not found in the most recent release from SF
[/list]
suggestions:
a)create one download collating all most recent files (Cartesian bot + extruder). each release will be guaranteed to be compatible with itself.

b)inside each release:
I)divide into Cartesian and Extruder
II)inside each category divide into RP and non-RP
III)use naming convention to indicate how many will be needed of each. (i.e.
8-corner-bracked.stl)

c)simplify google doc to include only most recent release. make sure it is in sync with parts available in each release) move all old release to new google doc to be named "Legacy file list" or something of the like.

Currently I have no authority to do any of these things but if people agree with me that it should be done I volunteer to do all of them, though i'd appreciate some help smiling smiley.

What do you think?

-Leav

That's it for now

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2008 05:44AM by Leav.
Re: RepRap SourceForge Site
June 25, 2008 01:54PM
I agree with the needed house cleaning on the google docs stuff as well as the sourceforge re-ordering. I don't have the authority either--thank god--but I am will to put in a little time re-organizing some things too.

Demented
June 25, 2008 02:31PM
Ah! finally a reply!

Glad to hear someone agrees with me on this...

Anyway we can contact the head honchos so we can actually get something done?
They don't seem to lurk around the forums I guess (or they are just avoiding this thread smiling smiley )

-Leav
July 01, 2008 09:23PM
I also started out being confused beyond belief and only just starting to make a bit of sense out of it as I'm comparing and tabulating through the different versions while reading the cartesian building documentation at the same time.

I'll have this thing sorted out within 2 days if I'm lucky (haha, seems like not the best use of time, but necessary if I want to build this). It appears that the cartesian 1.0.5 .stl files from sourceforge are the latest and the info therein should take precedence over the other material. I'm doing a BOM comparison and verifying visually through the .stl files. Along with this guide, the several of us should be able to figure things out.

Will post back when I make headway.
July 02, 2008 02:11PM
It does eventually make sense. The higher version numbers should be the ones you want. Given that they are all still 1.something they will work with each other. Just keep picking the highest version numbers and you should be good.

I've made two of these things and eventually it does get sane but not because of the inherent sanity of it all but only because you start getting acquainted enough to start ignoring stuff. It's still in pre-release status--I think--and most of the effort of the core team is focused on ironing out the kinks and not on the documentation or on the file structures. Seems right but is just slightly annoying for early adopters.

Demented
July 02, 2008 07:50PM
> most of the effort of the core team is focused on
> ironing out the kinks and not on the documentation
> or on the file structures.

I did not think about that... I guess this explains alot smiling smiley

just a thought: if we start out with an ordered release structure - phasing into public release would be much easier. lots of the ground work would be ready.

anyway: once more unto the breach!

-Leav
July 04, 2008 07:46AM
Try using the RepRap parts lister at parts.reprap.org as opposed to the raw data in Google Docs. It may be able to do what you want it to.
July 05, 2008 04:02AM
Hi Kyle,
I tried doing that, but couldn't find rapid prototyped objects anywhere on the list.

it looks like a list of stuff to buy, as opposed to a list of all the stuff you need.

am I wrong? (hopefully) smiling smiley

-Leav
July 05, 2008 01:46PM
I don't think your wrong. I don't remember--coming from someone with notably memory problems for this sort of thing--any stuff you'll need that wasn't stuff you should buy outside of Ian's kit.

Demented
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login