Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Complex problem with new prusa please help

Posted by That_new_guy_223 
Complex problem with new prusa please help
November 21, 2012 03:36AM
Hi everyone,

Got some problems with a new prusa I got a week ago. It's assembled and manually runs good. However, when I try to print anything this thing has problems.

First - the software given with this is the old version (I'm guessing by other postings) of repsnapper and it will not print anything in solid form. It always has a "lattice" effect going on. I have tried all the settings I can think of but to no avail. So this leads to my second problem.

Second - since repsnapper don't work I tried to use 5 different software systems to print a simple block. This was an epic fail. With every one I used ( slic3r, cura, kisslicer, skeinforge, and a variant of cura) I get this error: DEBUG LineNr set 22:12:32 (time in log). Also if the print runs and I don't get the error the extruded will not move at all. All the gcode lines have an e value and I have tried both relative and absolute positioning as well as changing the steps per mm for the extruded. All fail, no print.

I have searched for days to find an answer and only a mention as to an error in the boards programming that says the extruded is waiting for a temp but returns a wrong value so it won't turn that stepper on. I do no have this extruder problem with repsnapper at all but that program won't print anything right anyway. Tried a small rectangle and got layers of criss crossing plastic about 3 mm apart.

If anyone has any knowledge of a software fix or knows step by step how to change the code somewhere please let me know.

Another option I was thinking was seeing if I could change out my gen6 board for the one used on ultimakers. Any suggestions would be helpful. My Prusa has the following setup:

Gen6 board
3mm filiment
.4mm nozzle
No heat bed
Re: Complex problem with new prusa please help
November 21, 2012 06:12AM
Hi,
First, have you calibrated your extruder?
When I tried printing with a 0.3mm nozzle I got a lattice-like effect before I managed to turn down both the extruder feedrate and accelleration in the firmware.

Prusa with cast PU parts, RAMPS 1.3, Wades extruder, J-Head hot end
November 21, 2012 09:50PM
I have not calibrated anything because I do not know how to change the configuration.h file. I dont even know where that is at. It seems to be pushing the right amount of material in repsnapper but the lines are about 3mm away from each other. When the machine runs a program from a different software such as cura the steps seem fine, the head looks like it stays tight to the lines. But no movement of the wade extruder happens. In those programs like cura and slic3r if i hit the "run extruder" button and it is set for 5mm of feed, the gear turns maybe like 1 degree and stops.

Im so confused....
November 22, 2012 02:25AM
Seems to me that you need to calibrate the pulleys on x and y. Try and do a measure test from printrun or similar for 1cm movement. If its moving to much. Then you will have gaps between your lines. I had this problem in the z axis. When I told it to move 10mm it only moved 7mm. This squashed everything etc. hope this helps
November 23, 2012 05:21AM
Did the measure test on the x, y, and z. They are all correct. I tested the extruder for 30mm and it only pushes about 1mm or less of pla. I got the arduino interface for changing the config h file that got a link for to make but I have no clue how to upload that file into the machine, the interface says bad file selected when I try to open the config h file i made. I have no idea how to check what the firmware is right now so I dont change the other steppers since they are working fine. If anyone knows of a step by step way to work with uploading firmware it would really help.
November 23, 2012 10:09AM
you don't upload the config.h to the arduino. You need to compile the firmware on your PC within the arduino IDE and then upload the resulting object file - actually if you have the IDE set up properly, when you press the upload button, it will compile and then upload with that single action.

Of course you need to make your changes to the config.h file before you compile
November 25, 2012 08:51AM
Is it sprinter firmware. There should be a sprinter file that you load in the ardunio IDE, this loads all other files. Configuration.h file should be next tab over then. Now choose your ardunio board type and com port the try to compile and upload the software. If successful you will need to hit the reset button or reboot the hardware to make it connectable.

Hope that helps smiling smiley
November 28, 2012 06:24PM
I have the IDE software and the new Marlin firmware that I want to upload with the config.h file made. But I get an error message when uploading that says "board not in sync" and I have no idea what is causing it. My port and board are selected correctly in the IDE and nothing is using the printer so I am lost on the cause of this error. I do not know what kind of firmware was previously installed but heard that Marlin was better and more reliable. I have tried pressing the reset button at different times before and after hitting the upload button on my pc and nothing works.
November 29, 2012 06:52AM
Just found on the gen6 board

(Non-Windows users) Download and install the Arduino software version 0018, not the latest

[reprap.org]

Hope that helps in uploading a newer firmware. It seems to also required a custom software in the IDE.
November 30, 2012 02:41PM
I have tried both of the IDE versions and I get this error when verifying or uploading. Still get the "not in sync error" as well.

1: error: pasting "DIO" and "-" does not give a valid preprocessing token In function 'void bed_max_temp_error()':

It is refering to the bold part of the Marlin.h file:

void bed_max_temp_error(void) {
WRITE(HEATER_BED_PIN, 0);
if(IsStopped() == false) {
SERIAL_ERROR_START;
SERIAL_ERRORLNPGM("Temperature heated bed switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !!");

I get even more errors with the new version of the Arduino IDE:

temperature.cpp:728:1: error: pasting "DIO" and "-" does not give a valid preprocessing token
temperature.cpp:728:1: error: invalid suffix "_RPORT" on integer constant
temperature.cpp:728:1: error: pasting "DIO" and "-" does not give a valid preprocessing token
temperature.cpp:728:1: error: invalid suffix "_WPORT" on integer constant
temperature.cpp:728:1: error: invalid suffix "_PIN" on integer constant
temperature.cpp: In function 'void bed_max_temp_error()':
temperature.cpp:728: error: 'DIO' was not declared in this scope

Still references the same part of the Marlin.h file.
December 01, 2012 11:56AM
duttonw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just found on the gen6 board
>
>
> (Non-Windows users) Download and install the
> Arduino software version 0018, not the latest
>
> [reprap.org]
>
> Hope that helps in uploading a newer firmware. It
> seems to also required a custom software in the
> IDE.

I dunno about that, I've had about 10 clean compiles/uploads using Arduino 1.0.1 in Linux..., without any issues
(edit, I'm using RAMPS not Gen6. oops)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2012 12:17AM by xclusive585.
December 07, 2012 12:51AM
xclusive585 Wrote:
> I dunno about that, I've had about 10 clean
> compiles/uploads using Arduino 1.0.1 in Linux...,
> without any issues
> (edit, I'm using RAMPS not Gen6. oops)

Same here. I'm using RAMPS (motherboard 33 or 34), Arduino IDE 1.0.1 on Linux, and the head of the Marlin_v1 branch from github (https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin) (Marlin_v1 is the default branch and the current release). It's meant to compile under Arduino 1.x.

If you're uisng a file named "config.h" and not "Configuration.h", I don't think you have the current version of Marlin. The definition of bed_max_temp_error() is different in my temperature.cpp... specifically, an ifdef excludes the WRITE() statement if HEATER_BED_PIN is negative.
December 07, 2012 01:02AM
I tried that version of marlin but it gave me the temp errors. I used the diad website to build the configuration.h file for my steppers. But now my computer won't recognize the printer at all. None of the programs can see it on my com4 port but device manager says its always attached but I can't delete it or rename the port number. Also the drivers for the board won't install the cmd prompt window just has dots scrolling across and does nothing. And whenever I use the arduino IDE v1.0.2 I get a fatal crash of my computer when I shut down. Blue screen and all. It doesn't do it if I don't use the IDE software. Would like to know if I can swap this board for whatever one ultimakers uses or something compatible with the prusa setup. If not its going on eBay and ill buy an ultimaker.
December 07, 2012 04:08AM
Worst case you need to reflash the chip via the jtag or similar connector. Try a different of as see if that helps. It sucks that you are having hardware problems.
Try to lower your communication speed on your com port by changing the value in your boards file hardware folder. I am using Sanguino board and the boards file is in the arduino-0022\hardware\Sanguino folder.
Hope this helps.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login