Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Multi-colour hotend hits the bulldog clip.

Posted by ottovdv 
Multi-colour hotend hits the bulldog clip.
November 29, 2013 11:40AM
I Finally upgraded my mono-colour reprappro mendel to a multi-colour one, all works!

But when I print something the Bulldog clips of the hotbed often block the carriage, resulting in errors in the print.
Anyone had the same problem, and what was your solution?

I tried smaller prints, but even then often one of the hot-ends manages to hit the clips.

I tried to have the clips out of the route of the carriage, but then sometimes on of the other hot-ends manages to hit the clips anyway!

Is there an alternative for the clips?
Re: Multi-colour hotend hits the bulldog clip.
November 30, 2013 02:55PM
Use Kapton tape to attach the glass to the aluminium heat spreader.
December 01, 2013 06:14AM
I have the same machine and originally sufferred from the same problem, but I have now partially overcome it.

My extruder configuration is different to the standard one in that I have two extruders at the front and one at the left rear (when first assembling the machine I unwisely played a hot air gun over the rear extrtuder mounting plate which distorted the right rear section and when I printed a new one the mounting holes did not line up) and I have decided to make my primary extruder to be the front left one.

To partially overcome the problem, I have set the front left corner of the bed using the M206 command such that the front extruders just clear the front clips. But I still have this problem at the rear. Fortunately, because I have only one extruder at the rear, I can still use one clip, but I have to place it at one side of the bed or the other to clear it depending on the shape that I am printing. Otherwise, as far as I can tell the only other option is to limit the size of the object that you print.

Harvey
December 02, 2013 05:14AM
@HarveyC: I suppose you have the new model reprap? I have the legacy reprappro Mendel, with the 'vertical' x-axis.
Maybe another reason to upgrade it to the new version.
December 02, 2013 06:47AM
I started to use just 2 clips as far apart as possible on my machines.

Although I like the kapton tape idea and have just secured the bed on one machine with tape on 2 sides.

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login