Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Working out the electronics

Posted by caligad 
Working out the electronics
August 07, 2014 07:44AM
Hello,

I was wondering if some one could give me some advice. I purchased a Prusa i3 kit and i've built most of it. I opened up the box with the electronics in and found the SD card holder was not attached, also there were a few items that made me scratch my head. I've attached a photo so if some kind person could just draw a circle around the location for the SD card that would be brilliant, also if someone could tell me what the gold things are and where they go it would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete novice with electronics and 3d printing so I may be asking lots of dumb questions!

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-08-07 12.06.22.jpg (353.9 KB)
Re: Working out the electronics
August 07, 2014 09:35AM
This wiki page should show you how to add the SD card reader: [Sdramps page]
I haven't seen those gold things before, so I honestly don't know what to say about them... Where did you purchase the kit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2014 02:16PM by 3D-ME.

Thingiverse Profile
August 07, 2014 01:37PM
Those gold things look like power resistors. I've seen them used for heated print beds, but I can't imagine that that is their intended use with an i3 kit.
August 07, 2014 01:46PM
Hi Buddy could you take a pic of the build, I have an i3 but it has a melzi board, ive had it a few month and now have an lcd installed, where you from fella winking smiley
August 07, 2014 03:53PM
Thanks for the input, I found out after a bit of time that the gold things were to do with the pc power supply unit, they are indeed resistors. I found instructions to do strange things with the wires from the supply. There's a picture there showing what it told me to do. I've also attached a photo of my build so far, still needs a lot of work but I can't do that until I have power. the supplier has had to send me a 4 screw terminal block in the post as he forgot to include it in the kit, which is why the back and yellow wires in. I've also had to go out and buy extra M3 and M4 bolts along the way.
Attachments:
open | download - 2014-08-07 20.28.09.jpg (238.2 KB)
open | download - 2014-08-07 20.26.35.jpg (136 KB)
August 08, 2014 05:38AM
caligad
I found out after a bit of time that the gold things were to do with the pc power supply unit, they are indeed resistors. I found instructions to do strange things with the wires from the supply.

Some ATX power supplies need a dummy load on the 5V lines in order for them to regulate properly (or in some cases even power on). There are details in the Wiki about this. My guess is that those 25W power resistors are providing the dummy load.....
August 08, 2014 06:33AM
Good to know! I've really enjoyed putting this printer together, its been a steep learning curve and I'm really pleased that there are helpful folks like yourselves to help out. Its very much appreciated. It can be worrying when you're given a set of instructions to do something without being given reason why its being done! The information on the Wiki makes me feel a lot more comfortable about pluging in the power supply, thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login