Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full Graphics LCD... Need some help here

Posted by Paarthurnax 
Full Graphics LCD... Need some help here
March 30, 2015 05:20PM
Hello fellas, i need a bit help here.

Normally i was using RepRapDiscount Smart Controller LCD and everything was perfect. But on my last printer i decided to use Full Graphics LCD panel (12864), i connected it like previous ones, and i am thinking everything is correct on Marlin, But when i connect the whole board to power supply (12v 30A) the screen doesn't turn on, on the other hand printer works. (Tested with the Pronterface and printed some pieces.) To power LCD panel i have to use an USB cable. With USB cable the screen turns on but when i use just a power supply i doesn't.
Re: Full Graphics LCD... Need some help here
March 30, 2015 06:59PM
it's your arduino board powered by Ramps? there is a diode on ramps that needs to be installed in order to power the arduino and its accessories.
March 31, 2015 01:43AM
Mine was the same way. Take a look at this:

[www.youtube.com]
March 31, 2015 04:13PM
Well yes my arduino board is powered by ramps board. Any pics or videos about that diode installation guide ?
March 31, 2015 04:17PM
SpeedyDad1
Mine was the same way. Take a look at this:

[www.youtube.com]

Thanx i ll check it smiling smiley
April 05, 2015 09:23AM
Well nothing changed, still i have to use USB cable to power up my arduino + pwoer supply to power up my ramps. Then my LCD ( Full graphics Smart Controller 12864) works. Else, if i use only powersupply, it wont power LCD.

Also uploaded newest firmware, and i know the LCD works well on USB Plugged in. Any help here ?
April 05, 2015 07:37PM
hi can somebody help me out , i just got a new Arduino 2560 and ramps 1.4 with a lcd (12864 panel) ,marlin firmware1.0.0 rc2mm, i try the link that Speedydad1 post that i watch it so far 2 twice with no luck on setting up this lcd. i can see the lcd boot-up with the logo after popup the 3d printer spec ,temp,x,y,z ecc ecc , well when i am going to push the knob i get stuck on the first menu " info ..." and it wont move back or forward. i check it the arduino voltage regulator for problem , nothing all good. i test it the motor for movement with repitier-host and i could send the home position for x and it moved but i try to send few mm foward no response ???
what eck is going on .. i am lost .. few day back was working and now not,
p.s. i am been try different version of marlin and now i can't remember witch was working fine with the motor and not with the lcd panel.
anybody got a copy of a good working firmware that works with lcd 12864 with the correct pin.h confused smiley
April 06, 2015 10:47AM
Paarthurnax,

[reprap.org]

Read about D1 and D2. Think you are missing one of them in your board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 10:48AM by ggherbaz.
April 06, 2015 01:45PM
both D1 and D2 are in the control board. i will test both .
thx
April 06, 2015 05:36PM
Check the direction of both, if Chinese board one might be solder the wrong way.
April 06, 2015 05:40PM
On more thing I just remembered. the notches in your cables when connected to the display are facing up or down?

I have a board (Chinese) that the connectors were solder opposite of what they should be (facing up) and I have to turn them around for the display to work.
April 06, 2015 08:04PM
connector notches are down toward the knob

ramps1.4 with lcd 12864
ramps 1.4 with lcd 12864
April 06, 2015 10:42PM
I'm printing right now and I can't open my case, but I think EXP1 cable is inverted. Your cable have a twist, and you might be connection the wrong pins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 10:44PM by ggherbaz.
April 07, 2015 01:13PM
i check it the cable and i follow the exp1 and exp2 , if a swap the cable nothing works , screen stay off , no buzzing noise.

i just made a quick video , sorry to sleepy early morning smiling smiley
[www.youtube.com]
April 07, 2015 01:20PM
on the firmware did anyone change the pin.h , i didn't modify anything on the pin.h . i follow the step-by step from Thomas Sanladerer on youtube and reprap wiki no luck so far.
April 07, 2015 10:59PM
OK i modify the pins.h and the knob encoder responde to selection and after few click i get a message killed ???? still not sure if i am changing the pins number with the right one...Sd not working yet.
where can i find the pins number for this lcd 12864.
pins.h
#ifdef REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER
#define BEEPER 37

#define BTN_EN1 51 from 31
#define BTN_EN2 41 from 33
#define BTN_ENC 35

#define SDCARDDETECT 49
April 08, 2015 01:31AM
I think you just un commented the wrong line!!!
It is the FULL GRAPHIC's one that you need to un comment!
Dbl check!
April 08, 2015 01:34AM
I think it was just couple line down!,
April 08, 2015 08:22AM
I did't see in the pins.h , can someone post the section of text. I used marlin stable version.
April 08, 2015 09:57AM
Config.h
Not pin.h
Don't over think. It is quite straight forward!
April 08, 2015 10:09AM
Here is the line you must u comment if you didn't.
And see the smart controller and FULL GRAPHIC SMART CONTROLLER ARE VERY CLOSE
And mistakes can happen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 10:11AM by Bobyni.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (139.3 KB)
April 08, 2015 10:13AM
Ha!!!
Using Marlin 1.0.2
April 08, 2015 01:02PM
thx for the input but i did un comment // the # define full graphic and didn't work,
April 08, 2015 01:16PM
i tell you the truth am been trying all the version of marlin and all give me bad result so far with the LCD. i may get a lcd2004 version, smaller but more compatible with Marlin firmware.
April 08, 2015 04:18PM
Hey Magnetos, did you load the Ugli8 (?) library into your Arduino IDE?
April 08, 2015 05:34PM
yes i did include the Ugli8 library to arduino and i add the #include <8glilib> in config.h, i think 1.17 version.
later i will post my configuration.h and pins.h ,what code i changed it.
April 08, 2015 08:03PM
I don't remember adding any line to the config.h nor pin.h
Just add the Uglib8 folder to arduino lib and doing what the video suggested and was done.
April 09, 2015 07:27AM
Ok, with the modify pins.h was working . bad but i could move the knob to select.Last night didn't work so I think that lcd or the cable connector are bad.
April 10, 2015 08:12PM
OK , i found a video on youtube how to view all the example from U8glib and the lcd works fine.

code that i add in the example:
U8GLIB_ST7920_128X64_1X u8g(23, 17, 16); // SPI Com: SCK = en = 23, MOSI = rw = 17, CS = di = 16

now my question is : how can i change the pin setting in Marlin firmware. don't know where to look , i believe if a change with the above setting should work ( 23, 17,16)
April 10, 2015 10:06PM
What video and where did you add the code???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login