Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Chamber

Posted by unr 
unr
Heated Chamber
November 25, 2015 06:53PM
Hi there,

I've had a read at some posts on building an active heated chamber. However, I have some spare kit lying around and was wondering if I'd be able to repurpose this:

Ceramic Heater:
[uk.rs-online.com]

Now since the ceramic heater is quite powerful, I'd like to control it with something like this:
[imgmgr.banggood.com]

I'm terrble with electronics, I've tried going over the controller's manual but I can't seen to figure how to get started, without potentially blowing something up.

I'd really appreciate any help!

Cheers smiling smiley
Re: Heated Chamber
November 25, 2015 07:08PM
All that stuff should be usable. You'll need a thermocouple (K type is cheap and adequate) to connect to the controller, and you'll probably want an SSR to switch power into the heater using the output of the controller. Since it is a concentrated heat source it is a good idea to put a small fan in the enclosure to stir the air up a little and keep it moving over the heater. You will need some way to mount the heater, too.

If your printer has an unused extruder input you can actually just use that and skip the controller from banggood. In that case, use a thermistor for input.

If your printer has a sufficiently powerful heater and you build the box using insulating materials, you may not need additional heat at all. I would try that first and if the temperature doesn't get up to 45-50C then you need to add additional heat.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: Heated Chamber
November 25, 2015 07:15PM
The datasheet describes 3 different devices, so the first step is to find out which device you have.

The heater needs to be controlled in a more complex way it seems. It says the elements should not be hotter than 700 degrees. So you need to control 700 degrees as well as the chamber temperature. You may be better off with a heater that has a control build in.

Have you tried the enclosure without extra heating? Just using a heated bed may be all you need. You could also try a halogen bulb of 150W with a dimmer. Easy to wire too smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2015 07:15PM by imqqmi.

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login