Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu and StepStick shorting 5V circuit

Posted by macambra 
Sanguinololu and StepStick shorting 5V circuit
August 07, 2012 10:34PM
Hi, I am a noob. I'm building my first Prusa. I'm building a Sanguinololu 1.3a and using the StepStick drivers. I started performing electrical tests and found a short on the 5v circuit. I traced it to the StepStick. There apears to be a small conflict between the Sanguinololu schematic and the StepStick. The Sanguin shows the stepper VDD to be grounded straight-away, and the StepStick shows the VDD going to 5v.

Am I missing something here?
Re: Sanguinololu and StepStick shorting 5V circuit
August 08, 2012 01:01AM
The GNDVDD on the Sang is grounded not the VDD. Check for solder joints near the VDD pin of the stepstick.
August 08, 2012 09:23AM
So, where exactly is the GNDVDD on this board? VDD is right next to the GND and both of these leads are grounded on the Sanguinololu.
Attachments:
open | download - stepstick.JPG (29.6 KB)
August 08, 2012 12:14PM
If you look at the schematics of the sanguinololu you'll see that GNDVDD and GNDMOT are pins from the female header that accepts the driver board and are connected to ground. The VDD is connected to the 5v supply of the board.

When you mean both VDD and GND are grounded do you mean they are shorted ( as tested by a voltmeter)? Then thats where your problem is. You have a short from VDD to GND on your sanguinololu as these are separate connections. Also check GND and VDD on your stepstick.
August 08, 2012 03:34PM
Yes, they are shorted to ground, but not untill the driver is plugged in. I purchased prebuilt StepSticks and I'm pretty sure this is not a Sangin build problem. The problem is on all 4 drivers. I will verify them when I get home.
August 09, 2012 08:57AM
So, for this troubleshooting process, I had cut out the voltage regulator and the 5v side cap. I re-installed both and the short is on the board, somewhere between the layers. I ordered another pcb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login