Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

what is the correct way to print multiple stl files simultaneously

Posted by jbernardis 
what is the correct way to print multiple stl files simultaneously
August 11, 2012 01:25PM
I am using pronterface to control my prusa (marlin firmware) and tried using the compose interface to load two stl fils at the same time. I pressed done, and skeinforge successfully sliced both objects, but when I returned to the pronterface screen, only one object was showing in the preview pane. When I hit print, it started printing only the one object. I initially thought that it would print them in succession, but then I realized that there was no way for it to guarantee that there would be no collisions. So I decided to just watch it to see what it would do. I had to leave the room, and when I got back, it had finished the first object and was extruding plastic in midair as it was trying to print the second - I guess it just continued from the same z coordinate as where it had finished the first object.

Is there a setting I overlooked, or perhaps there was something I failed to do on the compose screen, so that both objects would be printed in parallel?
Hi, in composer you have to export the file first by pressing the export button, remember to name it something appropriate and not the same as the original file or it will overwrite it. It will export it as a stl file, so then you press done and it will close compose. Now back to pronterface you load your new stl file that you exported and then it should show your composed file. When you print it should be multiple objects. If you dont see anything on the plate, sometimes you have to move any axis, then it comes up, dont know why, perhaps a bug but it happens with my one.

Hope this helps.

jbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am using pronterface to control my prusa (marlin
> firmware) and tried using the compose interface to
> load two stl fils at the same time. I pressed
> done, and skeinforge successfully sliced both
> objects, but when I returned to the pronterface
> screen, only one object was showing in the preview
> pane. When I hit print, it started printing only
> the one object. I initially thought that it would
> print them in succession, but then I realized that
> there was no way for it to guarantee that there
> would be no collisions. So I decided to just
> watch it to see what it would do. I had to leave
> the room, and when I got back, it had finished the
> first object and was extruding plastic in midair
> as it was trying to print the second - I guess it
> just continued from the same z coordinate as where
> it had finished the first object.
>
> Is there a setting I overlooked, or perhaps there
> was something I failed to do on the compose
> screen, so that both objects would be printed in
> parallel?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login