Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Error with Octoprint communicating with RAMPS board

Posted by foul_owl 
Error with Octoprint communicating with RAMPS board
November 26, 2016 09:13PM
Hi folks,

My printer will randomly freeze in the middle of printing, or just whenever, with the following error:

Unexpected error while reading serial port, please consult octoprint.log for details: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)' @ comm.py:_readline:1618
Changing monitoring state from 'Operational' to 'Offline: SerialException: 'device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)' @ comm.py:_readline:1618'
Connection closed, closing down monitor

Nothing relevant in octoprint.log.

How do I determine if this is an error with Octoprint or an error with my arduino? Or something else?

Thanks!
Re: Error with Octoprint communicating with RAMPS board
December 06, 2016 10:50AM
First idea would be try to talk to RAMPS from some terminal software. however it is rather tedious process.

Usually these problems are ground loops. I haven't seen that exact error message but USB isolator might help. The randomness might correlate some increase of power consumption when signal ground rises relative to controlling computer. If you have raspberry pi controlling the printer, it floats in some potential and in my experience using USB ground and some other raspi ground to connect different grounds is bad idea (weird noise voltages, random reboots and lousy SNR for input.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login