Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

more motor problems

Posted by Anthrochick 
more motor problems
August 24, 2012 08:35PM
After replacing my stepper drivers today on my Sanguinololu and rewiring all the motors on my mendel, I still cannot get even a sound out of them. What am I doing wrong? Are my motors just bad? I've tried everone's suggestions about checking the continuity but nothing has worked. Does anyone know what the reading are supposed to be for each pin of the motors? maybe my brand new multimeter is bad? Between this and the faulty hot end I recieved, I have no idea what is left to try. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Bringing 3D printing to America's classrooms.

Follow my efforts at TheChicksNest.blogspot.com
Re: more motor problems
August 25, 2012 04:00AM
The typical motors we use have a resistance of 1.7 ohms for each coil. With a meter set to resistance you should be able verify that there is one coil across the first two pins and the other across the second 2, no connection between the first pair and the second pair.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 27, 2012 12:48PM
What about for a motor with six pin out since that's what I have?

Bringing 3D printing to America's classrooms.

Follow my efforts at TheChicksNest.blogspot.com
August 27, 2012 03:22PM
From the reprap wiki page for stepper motors

Referring the the first image - for a six wire, unipolar motor - the pins you want to use are labeled 1, 3, 4, and 6.

Pins 2 and 5 are left open for 6-wire stepper motors, unless you are using special driver circuits designed for these motors, so that the motor appears to drive circuits and behaves as a bipolar motor (the image on the right)

So measure between 1 and 3, and 4 and 6 respectively to find the pairs. I don't know the corresponding color codes for your wiring.

For instance, the resistance between pins 1 and pin 3 should be twice that of pin 1 to pin 2 or pin 2 to pin 3...same relationship for the other phase (pins 4/5/6)

here's the link the Stepper wiring from the wiki if that helps any, and if you're still fuzzy, just say so and either I or someone else will try to iron out the confusions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login