Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why reinvent the wheel/x-axis?

Posted by TheFerminator 
Why reinvent the wheel/x-axis?
September 14, 2012 04:39PM
Hello, I am designing a portable 3d printer and the other night I was trying to figure out how to design the end pieces and motor mount for the x-axis. I wanted to be able to make it so it could be printed on my friend's printer. Today i realized that most repraps out there are using the same rod configuration for the z-axis I am trying, why not reuse the design. It looks like the Prusa's end pieces are printed in one piece. That would be great.

My problems are as follows:
I have looked at several of the models and am having troubles figuring out which parts go where
I am using Autodesk Inventor 2013 to design my other parts and want to import the existing models for these parts so I can get dimensions for rod placement, etc., but all I can find is stl files. While Inventor will open stl files it does not treat them the same as parts made in inventor and I can not get it to give me any of the dimensions. If someone has Inventor files for any of the reprap models it would be nice if they were publicly available.
Re: Why reinvent the wheel/x-axis?
September 14, 2012 10:50PM
All you need to know is that the Z threaded rod and smooth rod are 30 mm apart (center to center), and that the X rods are 50 mm apart (center to center). The height of the X axis motor and idler above the X rods are not really standard, and will depend on how you design your X ends. I would throw an assembly together to make sure that everything lines up when you are done.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login