Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help! Maker gear prusa not connecting

Posted by jackrocker418 
Help! Maker gear prusa not connecting
November 20, 2012 05:05PM
Hello,
Im having a problem connecting to my prusa mendel, I've followed the instructions from maker gear and figured out how to wire it up correctly but when open up pronterface and tell it to connect it just freezes on "connecting..."

i changed the baudrate(in marlin, pronterface, port settings), i have 33 selected for my motherboard(marlin), port com3 (in marlin, pronterface, device manager),
i have:
"Maker Bot: prusa mendel"
RAMPS board
arduino2560,

im using arduino 0022, and an atx power supply with the end on it making it think its connected. no power to the motors, hot end, or heat bed.

Please help, i've had this guy for a couple of months now and i have yet to see it even twitchsad smiley
Re: Help! Maker gear prusa not connecting
November 20, 2012 08:16PM
Can you connect to the arduino with the arduino IDE. I assume you can since that would be how you loaded on the firmware. What port/baud did you use for that?
November 21, 2012 12:27AM
Sorry about that, I'm using com and 115200 for everything, and yes I have no problem loading scripts to the boards.

Thanks for responding!
November 21, 2012 06:29AM
Hi,

I have had similar problems with connecting Pronterface to my RAMPS board, both times they have been due to interference with my USB connection. On one occasion I was using a cheap USB extension cable which wouldn't carry the signal at the higher (250000) baud rate, and the other is when I turn on an old fluorescent desk lamp I have sitting nearby. Anytime I turn that on, the connection to the printer drops out. Possibly something to check. Try a short cable and turn off any surrounding devices.

Another thought is that if you have something else trying to access the device com port? For instance, if Pronterface is still connected, you can't flash the board from the Arduino IDE.
November 21, 2012 10:49AM
Hi!

So I swapped out the cable and still nothing, but i changed the com port to 16 (a virtual port i guess?) and made sure arduino connected and when i opened up the monitor the green light came on on the RAMPS board, and stayed on, but i tried to send it a m115 and nothing came back, i exited fully and started up proterface(already had com 16 selected) and clicked the connect button and the light blinked then went out, and every second time i clicked it the light would blink like it was rcving a ping!!! also, i unpluged the ATX power supply b/c the red light wasnt even coming on when i only had that connected, so instead i plugged in the seperate power supply (an old laptop supply) into the arduino boards external power and the red light came on. im pretty sure i HAVE to have the ATX power supply in order to power the motors but at this point im thinking i must have fried everything (i hope not)

i hope that there is just some small piece of programing that i dont know about. i followed the instructions over and over again and even downloaded mutiple versions of everything that other people have tried and to no avail...
December 01, 2012 06:06AM
Hello,

So I tested my power source and I'm getting 5v from red and 12v from yellow, which is correct, then I tried the resistance of the RAMPS board where the power connected, and the red/black has 1.28 ohms and yellow/black has no Ohms, and idk what any of this means and the internet can't give me a straight answer.
December 10, 2012 05:57AM
if you have the end stops in unplug them and then see if it works and the same with an SD card reader
Help also - Same problem - Bought that MakerGear from a friend who showed it worked fine with his computer hooked up - loaded Arduino023, Slic3r, and Pronterface, I am able to run Arduino023 and make the board blink, but then when I turn on Pronterface, it does not connect.... I verified the port (COM4), ran through every baudrate in turn - nogo!! FRUSTRATED AS HECK!!! Can someone help me, please? Don't know what to do next...

HobieGuy
March 30, 2013 01:32PM
Loading blink will have replace the original firmware so it won't be able to connect to Pronterface until you load some Reprap firmware such as Marlin. To avoid setting it up from scratch you will need to get the firmware from whoever you bought it from.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login