Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need advice

Posted by zoltan 
Need advice
February 24, 2013 01:39PM
Hello,

I bought my reprappro Mendel kit in December. Unfortunately, it seems that my kit was not the best in quality when I am referring to the plastic parts. The pulleys have plays on motor shaft. I tried to glue them but nothing was able to last for more than few days, and this is ending in backlashes. Then it was very difficult to manage the slippage/drift of the belts on the pulleys/idlers. Now I would say it is acceptable, even it is still an issue after I did a lot of square. Then the locations of nuts for the screws of the hotbed were bigger than the nuts and it was a nightmare to level the hotbed. At the end I have changed the solution and now the hotbed is true leveled. Also, the locations of nuts for the Z axis movement screws were bigger than the nuts so it happened the nuts to rotate and create backlashes. I found out a solution for it. I changed the nuts with bronze nuts and solder a thin layer on the faces, increasing the size of the nuts enough to eliminate the possibility of rotating into the location. I had also some other issues with IGUS bushes, small gear of extruder (cracked tooth), and so on.To make short the story, I would say that now the printer is mechanically, and electrically ok, but still I was not able to print reasonable good parts. I was using Pronterface with Skeinforge and Repetier with SFACT. Could someone, please, look at the attached pictures and tell me what I must change in the configuration or try?

Thank you.
Zoltan
Attachments:
open | download - 3d printer 002.jpg (142 KB)
open | download - 3d printer 001.jpg (165.6 KB)
open | download - 3d printer 003.jpg (142 KB)
Re: Need advice
February 24, 2013 01:44PM
Regarding the pulleys....Personally, I'd recommend that you purchase machined aluminum pulleys with IDs that match your motor shaft diameters and the type of belt you've employed.

~ $5-10 ea, it means a bit more cost up front, but in the end you'll be thankful for the improvement in your consistency and reduced frustration level.

I don't know about you, but my time is worth far far more than $5-10 per hour.
February 24, 2013 02:01PM
Yes, this is also my intention. Although, Sally told me that she will send me the replacements.
Do you have any idea what could be the reason for these bad printings? As I said at this moment everything seems to be true and leveled.

Thank you.

Zoltan
February 24, 2013 02:19PM
No, I'm afraid I'm not nearly as qualified to answer particulars on the difficulties of printer setup as many of the others in the forum, who have far more practical experience with the printing process and can advise you far better than I. Certain things I can comment on authoritatively, (hardware being one) but that's not one I can provide yet. I could make guesses, but I think it's prudent for me to defer to the veteran reprappers on that issue.

best wishes
February 24, 2013 06:54PM
Zoltan: please put photos of your machine with focus in the details. And we need the specifications of your settings. With these, we can help.
Examples:
_may be your bed temp is wrong,
_may be your extruder temp is wrong,
_may be your speed is wrong,
_may be your layer height is wrong,
_may be you have backlash in all axes.
Etc, etc, etc.
There are a lot of variables values to investigate.
Good luck!
February 26, 2013 04:11PM
Thank you very much. The issue was related with settings. Everything else, mechanic and electric is working well. I started to use slic3r, and get almost good results.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login