Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis issues

Posted by LordTovar 
Z axis issues
March 03, 2013 05:52PM
I jog all the motors in each direction. X and Y seem to be working. I go up on the Z and it just turns so so slow and I tell it to go up 100mm and it goes up about twenty. I used the Josef Prusa MM per step online tool and set the lead screw 2267.718321038048 steps per mm value and changed it in the firmware. I am running Repetier on my 2011 MBP. What I'm curious about is why is the motor so slow to go up and inaccurate and why when I home the machine the motors move at a lightning speed. Thanks for your time.

Here is the link to the video of this in action.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Z axis issues
March 03, 2013 06:33PM
why don't know why it it inacrute but i know the speed problem can be fixed by changing the move speed on the host software
March 03, 2013 11:17PM
It's actually part of the same problem -- your steps per mm are way out of calibration. I had the same problem when I was setting up the machine I just built (marlin firmware). In the firmware, one of the options is mm per minute so if the steps/mm are way off, then the movement speed will be way off as well since it thinks a millimeter is much less rotation than it actually is. Calibrate the steps per mm and you'll solve both problems.
Re: Z axis issues with Repetier firmware
March 08, 2013 06:23PM
I'm having the same problem with the latest Repetier firmware from github. I have a newly built MendelMax (M8 Z rods) with Megatronics 2.0 electronics. X and Y move fine, but raising Z by 10 mm turns the motors only about 1/3 turn, at really low speed.

And yes, the Z steps are most definetely correct: #define ZAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM 2560.0

Z homing works fine, and moves much faster than the regular move command.
March 08, 2013 06:46PM
Solved already! The firmware was using a Z-step value of about 90 (as well as slightly incorrect X and Y step values) from EEPROM even though I had never written anything to EEPROM. Strange... So, for anyone having issues, remember to check the EEPROM settings with M205.

edit: Oh, the settings are automatically stored to EEPROM when the firmware first runs and there's a special parameter you have to use if you want to (ever) override the EEPROM setting with the ones from Configuration.h. Haven't used Repetier before this so I had missed that...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 07:24PM by ttsalo.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login