Possibly shorted thermistor, can't control heat level anymore
April 11, 2013 04:21AM
Basically what happened was my thermistor popped out of my extruder so I tried putting it back into the extruder while it was still hot and i'm not too sure but I think I might have shorted it. I saw a few bright orange flashes

So now when I tried to reset my printer again I got several weird issues. My extruder thermistor reads 95.64-95.66 and my bed temprature reads 0. Whenever I turn on my printer my extruder starts heating up without me even asking it to heat up which is another side issue which popped up alongside my thermistor issue. I also cannot control the amount of heat my extruder reaches. Even when I try to turn it off, the heat contrinues to increase as soon as i plug in the power supply. I removed the extruder thermistor connectors from my board but it still read a temperature when I was expecting to get the (max temp) error.

I would really appreciate any help on this issue because frankly i'm completely lost with this issue and dont want to play around and make it even worst. Thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced this problem or knows exactly the issue/how to solve it in the best way.
Re: Possibly shorted thermistor, can't control heat level anymore
April 11, 2013 04:50PM
Measure the resistance of the thermistor using the lead. If it is not 100k or there abouts, then you have damaged it and will need to replace it. The other thing that it could be is a damaged a/d on your arduino mega. That would probably mean a new arduino.
April 12, 2013 12:46AM
i had this same issue on my gen6 , turns out it was a burnt mosfet and i just had to replace it. which was a pain since ive never soldered a chip to a board >sad smiley
April 12, 2013 06:42AM
I guess ill go to my local electronics expert because just like you, i've never soldered a chip to a board either confused smiley If it is really bad then i'll just have to replace the board.

My main question right now is has it affected other parts of my 3d printer? I'm particularly interested in my thermistor on my heatbed because it suddenly gives me a reading of 0. Should I check the resistance on it to make sure it is functioning?
April 13, 2013 01:54PM
i went around the city today looking for an expert on electronics. I had him check my mofset but he said it was fine and couldnt find anything wrong with the device but I changed it anyway to see if it might solve the issue. I tested it today and the same issue persisted (where I cant control temp and it gives me a false reading without even having my thermistors attached to the device).

My stepper motos all work fine and so do my endstops and I really dont want to buy a new board because of the delay time/expensive shipping cost attached to it. Anybody got another suggestion I could try before I go ahead and reluctantly buy a new board?
April 13, 2013 09:54PM
Have you tried reloading the firmware into the Arduino board?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login