Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New build - commissioning this evening.

Posted by simeonb 
New build - commissioning this evening.
April 13, 2013 03:44PM
Hello RepRappers,
I've been putting together a Mendel from RepRapPro over the last week or so. Final build and electrical testing is complete and I'm ready to plug it in and start calibrating everything.

I'm a filled with trepidation at the moment, excited to get going but at the same time nervous that I'll let some smoke out!

So Hello, my name is Sim and I'm (about to become) a RepRapper. Wish me luck!
Re: New build - commissioning this evening.
April 13, 2013 05:02PM
Good luck!
April 13, 2013 07:34PM
Well it all went pretty well - software installed, motors ok, bed levelled, bed heater ok. Extruder didn't heat initially, but realised a heater wire had come away from the pin, so quickly resoldered that and it now heats and hold temps.

To my mind the six pin connector on the hot end was the fiddliest bit of the whole job, might look to redo or improve that in the future.

I'm going to leave extrusion checks till the morning as I'm flagging a bit and don't want to gum up the extruder by making a mistake. I've been at it since 10am and I'm blaming tiredness for inexplicably grabbing the barrel of the soldering iron, will have a nice blister on my thumb from that sad smiley

The only thing I'm confused about is setting the area of the bed, center is most definately not in the center of the plate. 0,0 is actually off the glass altogether and moving the head to the right would crash through the clips holding the glass on. Presumably this is all set in software and may well be covered in the next stage of instructions (PRINT!)

Most importantly nothing went catostrophically wrong and it looks like I'm ready to print - tomorrow is the future!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2013 07:35PM by simeonb.
April 14, 2013 02:07PM
Congrats on your recent build. I'm glad to hear that everything is going great minus the blister. Happy building.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
April 14, 2013 03:21PM
Thanks for the good wishes. Will check out the blogs.

Happy to report the first print went well - I printed a bracket and was really impressed by the quality (for a first attempt!)
There were a few gaps on the final layer, so some tweaking to the feed rate to be done I think. About to do that now.

Such a beautiful day I had to leave it and go out with the kids and play outside, can't complain - it finally feels like spring. Will be printing some more bits this evening.

It's mesmerising to watch a print - does that ever wear off? smiling smiley
April 14, 2013 06:19PM
>It's mesmerising to watch a print - does that ever wear off?

I've been printing for a few weeks now and it hasn't worn off for me yet. smiling smiley

I just had to cancel a perfectly good print because of a thunderstorm though. angry smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login