Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17 issue

Posted by sgtmcc 
Nema 17 issue
April 17, 2013 10:34PM
First post and I'm here because of course I have a problem. Building a Prusa for my 3D printing class which is due in about a week. First board kept the extruder motor locked up and stepper driver caught fire. I have a RAMPS 1.4 board and having a totally different issue. Im using Sprinter firmware but havent found a fix within it yet. Tried Marlin but ReplicatorG kept giving a firmware reset when running the control board function.

On to the problem. The Z motors seem to take a while to engage while the X and Y run fine. The second issue is one Z motor runs in one direction only and the other alternates back and forth staying in one spot. I initially had it wired both spliced into the same terminal and have since put each motor on its own terminal.

Anyone have an idea what is causing my Z motor issues?

UPDATE: Found the RAMPS test firmware and my x drive sounds like a machine gun. Ive adjust the pot's but no change.

UPDATE 2: I believe I found the problem. Wiring issue I had overlooked. Sorry to clutter the forum with this

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 11:11PM by sgtmcc.
Re: Nema 17 issue
April 18, 2013 11:36PM
are you using microstepping?
Re: Nema 17 issue
April 20, 2013 08:07PM
hmmm a class, good for students !

if you have a scope, maybe you should try have a look at his for add-ons (electronics lesson?) for students?
[3roomlabs.blogspot.sg]

grinning smiley

sgtmcc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First post and I'm here because of course I have a
> problem. Building a Prusa for my 3D printing class
> which is due in about a week. First board kept the
> extruder motor locked up and stepper driver caught
> fire. I have a RAMPS 1.4 board and having a
> totally different issue. Im using Sprinter
> firmware but havent found a fix within it yet.
> Tried Marlin but ReplicatorG kept giving a
> firmware reset when running the control board
> function.
>
> On to the problem. The Z motors seem to take a
> while to engage while the X and Y run fine. The
> second issue is one Z motor runs in one direction
> only and the other alternates back and forth
> staying in one spot. I initially had it wired both
> spliced into the same terminal and have since put
> each motor on its own terminal.
>
> Anyone have an idea what is causing my Z motor
> issues?
>
> UPDATE: Found the RAMPS test firmware and my x
> drive sounds like a machine gun. Ive adjust the
> pot's but no change.
>
> UPDATE 2: I believe I found the problem. Wiring
> issue I had overlooked. Sorry to clutter the forum
> with this

__my mixed bag blog || aka --> [http] || ___ so 3D printing is everywhere ... dont worry, hospitals can now 3Dprint body parts, they will charge you $1million excluding surgical fees ... you will die paying your debts. thats their aim ___ if every patent expires tomorrow, everybody will surely get a 3dprinter and make EVERYTHING ! ____ there is a "DIY-DTG" t shirt printing forum, you can mod an EPSON printer to PRINT like a pro. ___ CNCzone? overly commercialized it seems ___ my country? they will be taxing you for every cm of road you use and track you to your grave using GPS and its government authorized, now they will fire all the traffic wardens instead.___ EEVBLOG? there is only 1 way to do things --> take it apart like a pro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login