Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which filament is better for bowden extruder

Posted by ekaggrat 
which filament is better for bowden extruder
April 19, 2013 02:24AM
i am currently using a extruder with 3mm filament. I wanted to shift to a bowden setup to convert to dual extrusion,,, I was wondering which filament is better for bowden extruder, i have seen most of the people using 1.75mm for this setup.. is 3mm not good for a bowden extruder?
Re: which filament is better for bowden extruder
April 19, 2013 02:31AM
This is a common question with people on both sides. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

I am a 3mm Bowden supporter myself.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
April 19, 2013 03:46AM
i think the advantage of 1.75mm is its more flexible, but 3mm is stiffer and easier to apply more force to. so basically the 3mm has less "backlash" in mm, but since the 1.75mm is lower volume, they pretty much even out. it also depends on how much play you have in the bowden tube, and therefore how much extra pressure you need to get the extruder to put out.
April 19, 2013 04:58PM
The only thing I think I've learned is that if you use 1.75, you will also need a direct drive extruder. The reduced gear extruders cannot retract fast enough for 1.75.
April 19, 2013 05:04PM
I have heard of similar situations. During retraction the filament flexes in the tube and pushes against the sides of the tube causing the filament to stick in spots. I personally use 3mm due to less backlash and less retraction issues.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
April 20, 2013 12:29PM
My machine will have the extruder motors supported above the center of the print area just high enough to limit the angle of bend of the tubes while not extending their length unnecessarily. I am running 1.75, direct drive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login