Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New project mendel 90, i3 custom combo

Posted by REPRAP SQUAD 
New project mendel 90, i3 custom combo
April 29, 2013 12:22PM
So we have decided to take on the Mendel 90 hybrid build as a side project as if we don’t have enough projects going on. We are not going to build a standard Mendel 90 however. We originally couldn’t decide between the Prusa I3 and the
mendel 90. So we figured why not have our cake and eat it to. So after looking at plans for both designs we realized how
similar they really are. We liked the I3 for some parts and the M90 for others. So we are going to take the best from each
design and integrate them together while adding in a little of our own tricks as well. I will be updating as we go. So far the parts that are decided are the frame, z-motor mounts and top rod mounts. We are going to use the Mendal 90 frame with a few small adjustments.

I’ve started sketching up rough plans so I can figure out what parts from each machine I’m going to use. I also have to
figure out how to integrate them seamlessly so they work together and not against one another. I’m also figuring out
parts that I will be custom building from other ideas and designs we have in the RepRap Archives. Luckily I have the
better part of all the designs RepRap Squad has put together over the last few years. So it will be a matter of finding and
adapting ones that are made for this design. I’ve been working non stop for the last week on design changes and my
desk has been overtaken by models etc. So I have moved to the only feasible place with more space, the floor. Below you can see a small portion of my soon to be rats nest of ideas and sketches. I’ve made a quick mock up of the bearing
mount for the Y-Axis taking design ques from the Prusa i3. After asking a few members for a working name for this
project instead of calling it a mendel 90 Prusa i3 hybrid. We came up with the name Elsa i9. The name derives from the
last two letters from the Prusa and the Mendel. The ‘i’ comes from Prusa and the 9 comes from the mendel 90. So it makes since and is a lot easier to reference. So from now on this project will officially be referred to as project: Elsa i9. As designs are confirmed I will post updates.

Here's some updated pics attached so you can see the progress we've made.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20130428_133332.jpg (389.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130428_133253.jpg (389.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130428_133231.jpg (345.6 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130428_133050.jpg (331.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_20130409_142624.jpg (361.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login