Posted by Spazmor 
PLA not sticking to bed
May 05, 2013 01:00AM
Hi,

New PLA sliding off bed. Have tried different bed temps 55c & 85c
Any advice?
Re: PLA not sticking to bed
May 05, 2013 01:05AM
I use a diluted solution of PVA glue (white glue - elmer's if you're in the states) - 4 parts water to 1 part glue. I wipe is on the glass with a paper towel. It only takes a few seconds to dry if the bed is hot. I clean it off periodically using nail polish remover on a paper towel; other solvents might work too since the glue is water based.

I can usually stretch one application for a few prints, but whenever I start an important print, I clean off the glue and reapply a fresh layer I still get an occasional corner lift, but almost never. I've been very happy with this technique.
May 05, 2013 01:08PM
I had problems getting PLA to stick to my glass print bed, but I've solved them. My solutions:

• Make sure the bed is level.
  • Clean the glass with acetone and lint free cloth prior to printing (important, glass cleaner didn't work for me).
  • Use a starting temp of 65 degrees and lower to 60 after the first layer

Doing this I no longer have any problems with first layer adhesion or warping.
May 06, 2013 12:46AM
Thanks guys appreciate your advice,

I haven't had this problem with the kit PLA despite cleaning the bet with acetone.

I did clean the bed recently, immediately before trying the new PLA, though so maybe it's too clean. I actually thought this would make it stickier but I have flawed logic.

I'll try both 60c and then PVA this week & get back to you.
May 06, 2013 10:27AM
Actually, I through my original fillament back in which was working fine, checked the extrude rate, re-leveled the bed and did another test print... It's still not sticking sad smiley

I didn't have any PVA but stuck some gaffa tape on the bed and transfered a heap of glue of it onto the bed but still no luck.

Changed extruders, no luck :,(
May 06, 2013 10:18PM
I use PVA for ABS but with PLA I just use a spotlessly clean glass (although PVA would also work). Setting the bed height to 0.05 (half of a sheets thickness) usually yields perfect adhesion.
May 08, 2013 04:04AM
How big is your print job?
I have no problem with most prints sticking, except when I try to print something small. Then it lifts up and just makes a mess. I get around this by adding a raft layer and then the small jobs print fine.
May 08, 2013 11:22AM
Spazmor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> New PLA sliding off bed. Have tried different bed
> temps 55c & 85c
> Any advice?

No heating, cooling. PLA have a different rules - more fast it become cold than your print become better, using heated bed with PLA is an old days mistake.

Just print on the glass or painters tape and never turn on heated bed ! Look on thingiverse for some fan cooler attachement for cooling your object during printing.

Best Regards
Martin
May 10, 2013 09:13AM
Hairspray, cover the bed in it problem solved.

Ben
I print at 185 and use a cold bed with blue (color is important! Blue = less adhesive and less mess) painters tape. I don't like the idea of spraying anything on my printer.
May 13, 2013 06:25PM
Martin_G3D Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spazmor Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hi,
> >
> > New PLA sliding off bed. Have tried different
> bed
> > temps 55c & 85c
> > Any advice?
>
> No heating, cooling. PLA have a different rules -
> more fast it become cold than your print become
> better, using heated bed with PLA is an old days
> mistake.
>
> Just print on the glass or painters tape and never
> turn on heated bed ! Look on thingiverse for some
> fan cooler attachement for cooling your object
> during printing.
>
> Best Regards
> Martin

For some parts, I heat the bed (with blue tape on) to 65°C then shut it down when starting the print. It is a well insulated bed so cool very gradually and the parts stick very well. It is especially important for large parts that can warp.

Now my white PLA need it, but not the black one. In any case you need a fan on the print area
May 18, 2013 09:00PM
I find painters tape works fine, it can be tricky to get the parts off the tape and the bed after but everything sticks nice.

The largest parts I print are for that game "Pocket-Tactics "http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:54865 , not sure if you're doing smaller or not and that's the smallest I've tried so far with results.

Worth trying anyway.

[whatisacnc.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login