Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Deltaprintr - New Delta Printer Design!

Posted by shai 
Deltaprintr - New Delta Printer Design!
June 20, 2013 01:39AM
Hey guys, I don't post much around here because I mainly associate in the deltabot google forums, but I thought I'd share a new design that me and a couple of my friends have been working on. Our primary concern is price and ease of construction/good looks and of course precision!

We've worked on this for the past couple weeks and now the model is complete. We've started lasercutting the parts and should hopefully have a fully assembled and running printer sometime within this week with a video.

Check out the pictures below and let me know what you think and if you have any ideas! This design uses a spectra fishing line (no belts) to save on costs and increase accuracy. It also uses Misumi 1515 extrusions and the design is super easily expandable, if you want to change the height, you simply change the length of beams. For width you only need to change two wooden pieces - we kept it simple.

We're planning on launching a kickstarter to fund this project to drastically reduce the costs. You can sign up here: www.Deltaprintr.com (without the "e" in printer) to find out when we launch and grab one of the early bird kits.

Happy printing!
Attachments:
open | download - Deltaprintr_Misumi_Render.png (339.9 KB)
open | download - glass.jpg (52.6 KB)
Re: Deltaprintr - New Delta Printer Design!
June 20, 2013 03:21AM
It doesn't look like you have a USP, there are several very similar designs out there. Kossel comes to mind which is currently on kickstarter.

Perhaps you could explain where your machine differentiates itself as it will likely get little funding if it can't stand out from the crowd of 3d printers, past and present.

Also spectra wire doesn't increase accuracy, and with line walking will probably decrease it - so I wouldn't advertise it as an accuracy improvement.

Good luck!
June 20, 2013 10:45AM
yydoctt what are you referring to by USP? The spectra line does increase accuracy because unlike belts it won't skip and doesn't have any backlash. It is the reason that everyone that has a deltabot recently is switching to a spectra line.
June 20, 2013 11:15AM
USP = Unique Selling Point i.e why someone should pick yours over the other available models.

Ben
June 20, 2013 11:20AM
Unlike the kossell which costs $600 just for a kit and almost $1,000 for an assembled, our price point would be around $500 for a full printer kit.. most likely less once we work out the details. It's also much simpler to assemble unlike the other printers for its price range.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 12:28PM by shai.
June 20, 2013 05:14PM
shai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> yydoctt what are you referring to by USP? The
> spectra line does increase accuracy because unlike
> belts it won't skip and doesn't have any backlash.
> It is the reason that everyone that has a deltabot
> recently is switching to a spectra line.

Belt skipping is extremely difficult to induce, a non issue. Curved tooth belts suffer very minimal backlash and can be considered negligible. Wire walking around the pulley is certainly a bigger issue than belt lash. Both are fine for fdm, of course.

Reduced costs are always good, I think you'd be hard pressed to draw a crowd with that alone considering buccaneers recent success, though of course delta's are way cooler!
June 20, 2013 10:42PM
Here are some pics of the lasercut parts... starting to assemble the printer. I think the bed will look very nice the way that logo lights up with LEDs winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2013 10:44PM by shai.
July 12, 2013 01:11AM
Here's the first completed print done by a Deltaprintr!

September 14, 2013 01:36AM
Just released full Deltaprintr specs smiling smiley [www.deltaprintr.com]
woo
September 15, 2013 01:05AM
very nice, except that hotend reaches only up to 220 c, and i really dont like those traxxas .

i have @ home 2 packages and lot of them have play between plastic and metal ball..

yes, i know they are cheap so they are popular..but not good enough for me..
September 16, 2013 09:14PM
@shai - I think its a pretty cool little setup. Keep up the good work. You're first prints are looking pretty impressive. I cant wait to hear how makers faire goes for you guys. Keep us updated on the printer. I wish I had the money cause I would buy one for sure.

--------------| For Everything |--------------------------
Check it out here:
[reprapsquad.wordpress.com].
---------| For Everything Prototype Related |------
Now featuring comp case mods:
[RepRapLab.wordpress.com]

--------------| Find us at Twitter|------------------------
@REPRAPSQUAD (RS Main)
[mobile.twitter.com]
@REPRAPSQUADHQ (ProtoLab)
[mobile.twitter.com]
September 16, 2013 09:47PM
shai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the first completed print done by a
> Deltaprintr!
>
> [attachment 16719 PrintedSample.jpg]

OK, can we see a video of the printer making that figurine?

October 04, 2013 07:41PM
We were at Maker Faire NYC 2 weeks ago and it was a blast getting to meet a bunch of interesting people and talking to them about our project. Here are some pictures!

October 12, 2013 08:44PM
I like it, i really like the delta over any other current design. Just so much cooler to look at in action as well.
Will be my next printer no doubt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login