Has anyone tried making an automatic oiling system?
July 18, 2013 05:57PM
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering why I haven't seen any self oiling systems for 3d printer rods. These systems are(or were) fairly common on farm equipment that was used around large amounts of dust and therefore required frequent lubrication. The system usually consisted of an oil resivoir that gravity fed multiple nozzles that had some sort of mechanism that released oil slowly as the part it lubricatres moved. I haven't seen anything like this on any of the 3d printers I have seen. My printer is currently in a garage and I have had to lubricate it every time I try to use it. I am sure there are others that are/would like to run thier printers in high dust environments, so why isn't there an automatic cleaning and/or lubricating system for our threaded rods?
Re: Has anyone tried making an automatic oiling system?
July 18, 2013 07:24PM
OK to a point but too much oil / dust = dust creme. If possible, throw a cover over your printer when not in use, if there is dust in it anyway, blow it out with compressed air and then use light machine oil sparingly. This will help lessen the dust clogging the bearings, particularly the ball races.
July 18, 2013 10:30PM
there is no need.....that's why
July 19, 2013 11:07AM
rod lubrication would be the LEAST of your worries,

You don't want to 3D Print in a high dust environment.

Problems sticking to the bed, dust getting in the filament, particles clogging your hotend.

It's easier to remove the dust than to build a complicated auto-greaser.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login